Has anyone used AVX or WIMA caps?

Started by scottosan, March 01, 2005, 02:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottosan

I have my choice of AVX, WIMA, Mallory, or Vishay. I know this is just a matter of taste, but what is everyones experience with the different types.

jimbob

"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Mike Burgundy

Vishay and WIMA are also very good, as are Philips.
I'm not sure, but as long as you have Poly caps, I don't think there's much difference between brands (anyone on that?)
I do try to keep to the plastic-encased caps (like WIMA) because they can handle a little more physical abuse. Those caps that look like a tiny metal brick with the legs soldered to the outside tend to break their legs off easily. Other than that, I think difference is more due to mojo than actual quality issues.

petemoore

I ordered a slough of AVX, and would do so again.
 I' like the deal, and the bright yellow boxes look kool on the board, and are EZ to find if you drop them !!!
 Also sturdy legs that fit perfhole spacing, and go in/stay in sockets and no trimming of the leads...of course if you need longer leads...[   ].
 ...other than that it doesn't matter to me...any 'good' ones [non Carbon film]...but I've used 'em in a pinch.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

phillip

I also like the non-polar yellow box metal film AVX capacitors.  They have a very specific 0.2" lead spacing and the leads are already fairly short so there's not very much room to bend them for a wider lead spacing.  Other than that, they're excellent....very small (much smaller than the "greenies" when you get to 0.01uF and larger) and you can get them in values up to 2.2uF!  They're even cheaper than the greenies, to boot! ;)

Phillip

puretube

WIMA MKP is best choice for me...
...nevertheless I mostly us those silver "metall bricks" (Siemens/EPCOS): smaller/cheaper.