News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Solo Boosts

Started by Longlivedave, March 02, 2005, 09:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longlivedave

Does anyone know of an amp mod, that adds a boost channel for a solo boost. I have tried everything beleive me, FX Pedals, EQ Pedals, FX Loops, Overdrive pedals, so don tell me I need one. I need to do something with my amp.

vanhansen

Check out the booster in the beginner project area.  Modifying your amp will cost more than making this simple booster and will provide the same functionality.  I know what you're looking for.  OD pedals don't do it really.  EQ's can, but not really well (IMO), and the effects loop, well, not exactly the right place to do a boost.  Seriously, check out the beginner project.  You'll be surprised.
Erik

lethargytartare

Well, you came to a stompbox forum, so odds are good most of the discussions here are going to be about stompboxes, not amp mods.  You might try guitarnuts.com (they have a forum more broadly on the issue of wiring, including amps), but most of the discussions there focus on guitar mods...but there are some sharp guys there who might be able to help you.

As for boosting in general, there are so many fantastic boosters here that I'd be shocked if you had ever tried -- since the guys here made the circuits themselves.  My two guitarists use boutique boost pedals for soloing -- one uses a sparkleboost I built using Dragonfly's design, and the other uses a ZVex super hard-on.  Both are very particular about tone, both use high-end gear, one uses vintage gear, etc.   See the thread "which DIY overdrive?" for a detailed discussion of some different ones and their traits.  And if you're willing to modify your amp, these circuits should be child's play for you, and you could whip out five or six of them to test out in the time it would probably take you to find and execute a reliable mod for your amp.

So, did you hear someone else's modified amp that led you to feel this was the only avenue for you, or are you just burned out on trying different pedals?  And when you factor in the risk, why not sell your current amp and look for one that has a lead channel that meets your needs?

Good luck!

ltt

bwanasonic

An amp mod for what amp?! What have you tried in your FX loop? There a whole lot of variables in this equation. It would help to know a few of them at least.

Kerry M

Khas Evets

I have a Marshall TSL 100. I don't know what kind of amp you have, but if you just want a volume boost for solos, you could jump the FX loop and turn down the FX Mix. I used to do that until I built a couple boosters off this forum (Mini-Boost, Mosfet Boost, etc.). Most boosters at moderate levels are fairly transparent.

Could you give at little more detail about what you are trying to achieve, and what you've tried that didn't work for you?

mattdowney

i built the NPN booster in the begginer project and i use it for a solo boost. infront on the amp it works as a great clean boost on the clean channel but when you turn up the gain the boost lessons, this is normal. in the effects loop it works as a amazing clean boost on both clean and very heavily distorted channels. a seymour duncan pickup booster or a MXR micro amp are also amazing clean boosters that wotk just like the NPN in the begginer fourm. i hope this helps.

matt

william

If your looking to make the volume louder, a booster in front of the amp will do this.  It'll also change the tone of the amp, the preamp will be pushed harder, possibly causing more clipping.  If your looking for a solo function like on the Mesa Dual Rectifiers, those are achived by bypassing a second pot.  Like so,

This happens right after the effect loop, but before the power amp.  The two knobs should go to ground.  The image is only a partial, and the ground got cut off.

octafish

I remember reading about bypassing the tonestack in your amp somewhere. Should give a substantial boost, but you do loose your EQ. For mine though I'd go for a booster, I only modify stuff I can afford to destroy.
Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. -Last words of Breaker Morant

bwanasonic

Another technique that can work is to use a volume pedal in your loop, and set your amp for your solo volume, then use the pedal to back off the volume.  One of the benefits of this is you don't just get ON/OFF, but a range.    A lot really depends on what setting you are playing in. Are you playing mic'd with a soundman?

Kerry M

Dragonfly

Quote from: bwanasonicAnother technique that can work is to use a volume pedal in your loop, and set your amp for your solo volume, then use the pedal to back off the volume.  One of the benefits of this is you don't just get ON/OFF, but a range.    A lot really depends on what setting you are playing in. Are you playing mic'd with a soundman?

Kerry M

Thats a really good way to do it....but instead  of using a volume pedal, you can build this (Clean Machine)....it'll allow you to cut the volume at a preset amount every time, and won't kill your high end !

Andy
Dragonfly FX

col

Have you tried a rangemaster or other treble booster? I always use a rangemaster clone for my solo boosts and I have built a Sparkle Boost and the Brian May Booster which also provide the same lift and cut but he rangemaster is the best I have ever used. I made a -ve earth version with an NPN Ge transistor and If it ever got pinched or broke I'd have to make another immediately. On full it gives a MASSIVE boost!
Col

bwanasonic

Quote from: colHave you tried a rangemaster or other treble booster?

The problem with any *in front of the amp* approach is it changes your gain structure, and the amount of boost depends on how much headroom you have left. If you are using high gain from your amp, a boost in front of the amp won't add much volume and most likely will make for a less-than-desirable *tone*. That's why it helps when the original poster provides information like what amp they are using, at what volume, etc. But alas...

Kerry M

lethargytartare

Does it affect you analysis if the effect is in in a chain between the guitar and amp (pre-preamp) or in the amp's effect loop (post-preamp, pre-power amp...assumuming there is an effect loop)?  And note -- the original poster said he tried this (effect side-chains) too and disliked it...

Quote from: bwanasonic
Quote from: colHave you tried a rangemaster or other treble booster?

The problem with any *in front of the amp* approach is it changes your gain structure, and the amount of boost depends on how much headroom you have left. If you are using high gain from your amp, a boost in front of the amp won't add much volume and most likely will make for a less-than-desirable *tone*. That's why it helps when the original poster provides information like what amp they are using, at what volume, etc. But alas...

Kerry M

petemoore

Maybe, if the amp doesn't do what you want it to, even after having tried many different boost/od effects, the problem isn't with the effects.
 If the amp does the tone you want, and you just want two different volume levels of that tone...try turning the guitar down.
 Also if you add a small cap across the SP lugs of the guitars volume, you can get less 'dulling' of the tone as it's rolled down.
 Or a volume pedal with switch as was shown above.
 Or dinker around inside the amp and put a side chain volume control in there with remote switching...awhollotta trubble, I'd consider looking at an alternative amplifier systems first.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

mojotron

I use a set of TubeWorks RT-2100 combos and heads with Mullard tubes. These amps have a stacking feature where you can dial in the amount of boost/gain that you want on top of the distortion channel to do a lead boost. This is the best lead boost I have ever used - it really give this "your amp + more" sound....

These amps have some reliability issues, but have a great Marshall/Boogie and Fender like sound between all of the channels and do this boost thing really well.

bigjonny

DIY Guitarist has the Solo-Pro:
Quote from: http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/MyStompboxes.htm
Here is a simple thing I designed that I call "Solo-Pro". It's just simply a box that switches between two preset volume levels. I wanted something that would give me some kind of volume boost for solos. I used a bi-color LED so that I can keep track of which setting it is on.

mojotron

Quote from: bigjonnyHere is a simple thing I designed that I call "Solo-Pro".

Wow, now that's cool - 2 color LED, 1M pots and a DPDT - great design! :D