An indespensible perfboard tool...

Started by Hal, March 02, 2005, 06:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hal

The Sharpie.  I finally started marking up my boards not too long ago.  Its really amazing how many mistakes this cuts down on.  I ususally have 4 colors when I do a board - black and red for power, and ususally green and brown for other components.  It helps me remember when I map out the board, and what not.  It sticks well to pheno. w/e, just thought i'd share :-D.

pjwhite

I use a Sharpie to mark pin 1 on DIP sockets on the back of the board.  That's enough for me to reduce mistakes by about 99%.  I never considered marking any other pins.

jbm222

I used some white wire for an entire pedal once and marked the ends with different colors to help me keep things straight.

MartyMart

Quote from: HalThe Sharpie.  I finally started marking up my boards not too long ago.  Its really amazing how many mistakes this cuts down on.  I ususally have 4 colors when I do a board - black and red for power, and ususally green and brown for other components.  It helps me remember when I map out the board, and what not.  It sticks well to pheno. w/e, just thought i'd share :-D.

Hal thats great, I've done that since the beginning !!
Helps reduce those "stupid" mistakes by 95%

Marty. :wink:
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

petemoore

Blue:
 Green:
 Red:
 Black:
 Especially handy for socketted tranny's that go E/W mixed with N/S...or for that Jfet pinout [I started always socketting Jfets with gate on the 'bottom']
 Just have to be sure to mark it right the first time.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Mark Hammer

Steve Daniels (Small Bear) sells some pad-per-hole boards that, besides being phenomenally well made and able to kick Rat Shacks boards out of contention as value for money, have a nice silkscreened legend along the edges that provides alphanumeric coordinates for those who start projects complex enough that you need a system to keep track.  If you want your projects to be rock-solid, the boards come in double-sided pretinned form as well, in a variety of sizes.

B Tremblay

While the Small Bear boards are of excellent quality, there is one small drawback: the board material cannot be trimmed to smaller size as easily as the RadioShack products.  The RadioShack boards can be scored with a knife and snapped into smaller sizes that can be very helpful in tight quarters.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Mark Hammer

True, but then one of the advantages of Steve's boards is that they only break into smaller portions when you want them to!  :wink:

They can be easily trimmed with your average Dremel tool.

aaronkessman

my rat shack board has that nice grid pattern and alphanumeric system too...

im sure steve's is better, but ive never had a problem with RS...

rubberlips

When I lay a vero board out, I generally select one of the top rows to be + and one of the bottom to be negative, makes it easy to remember...hmm what was a i saying :)

Pete
play it hard, play it LOUD!

Alex C

Home Depot, Lowe's, and other hardware stores (Ace?) sell a 5-pack of colored electrical tape in red, blue, green, yellow, and black.  This is great for color coding all kinds of stuff.