AMZ Mini Booster

Started by ocelot, March 03, 2005, 05:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ocelot

I thought I would build one of these. Can a germ tranny be used in these like the ones Jack sells ? Or I assume its a FET J201 does anybody know who stocks these in Australia ?

amz-fx

Quote from: ocelotI thought I would build one of these. Can a germ tranny be used in these like the ones Jack sells ? Or I assume its a FET J201 does anybody know who stocks these in Australia ?
The germanium transistors are PNP devices and are typically used with a positive ground.  You cannot just drop them into the circuit as a sub for the J201.

You can use the 2N5457, MPF102, BF245, 2SK117 or similar jfets as direct replacements.

There is some info on making bipolar or mosfet versions in my  project newsletter:

http://www.muzique.com/amproj.htm

regards, Jack

rubberlips

ocelot, you might be lucky to find some NPN germaniums - Dickies used to sell them, and they'll probably work in the booster although might not give you the sounds you're after because the FETs will have different gains.

I think RS components and Farnell stock them if you only want a couple of them. If you don't mind getting a few - buy a few off small bear, the price is cheap even with the postage

Pete
play it hard, play it LOUD!