Ruby build pics, groovy.

Started by inverseroom, March 03, 2005, 10:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inverseroom

I built my Ruby into a Hammond 1509BB.  The speaker is a little 1.5" Kobetone 4-ohm dealie from Mouser, and the handle is a bakelite drawer pull I found on eBay once.  The speaker grille is perfboard of course--it was supposed to be temporary but I decided I liked it!  The legending is graphics done on MS Word and printed onto photo paper, which I cut out and glued to the box with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive, one of the greatest achievements of mankind (the glue, not my use of it).  I stuck a switch in there so that I could have the speaker and ext speaker jack (a Switchcraft 12A, not yet installed) separate from the headphone jack, which has got a 100-ohm resistor (actually 91 ohms I think) attenuating its signal.  Not much distortion through headphones but it's awesome for testing effects.  I put the Runoffgroove schem on the back, for the curious.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of this awesome circuit!

hairyandy

That rocks!  It looks like a rock lunchbox.  In fact, a lunchbox would be a pretty cool enclosure for a ROG amp circuit.  Hmmm......(scratches head)

:D
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

vanhansen

That's cool as hell.  I love it.  Looks better than mine.  I haven't added a headphone jack or speaker to it yet.  I just run it in to my 4x12 from time to time.
Erik

casey

nice retro looking build...

good job.
Casey Campbell

Paul Marossy

Wild Zebra

Nice!! I'm diggin it
thats on my things to build list

"your stripes are killer bro"
"your stripes are killer bro"

B Tremblay

What a beauty!  Thanks for sharing with us.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

MartyMart

Thats real "cute"  !!
Nice one,
Marty. :D
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Paul Marossy

How does it sound with that tiny speaker?

inverseroom

Thanks a lot, guys!  Actually the little speaker is not bad at all.  Mouser carries two versions of it, one of them is a little higher fidelity for fifty cents more, which is the one I got.  Anyhow, it costs something like two bucks, and sounds like at least six.  :wink:

space_ryerson

Nice job! You're making me want to build an amp into my old star trek lunchbox.

Also, any idea when the tapeop board will be back up?

inverseroom

Quote from: space_ryersonany idea when the tapeop board will be back up?

Dunno, I have written for the mag but am not part of the Golden Circle.  I'm certainly getting a lot done hanging around here in the meantime though!  You all are very encouraging.

brad

how'd you cut the speaker hole?  The whole thing looks awesome!  I wonder if a ruby tuby would fit in there?

inverseroom

The speaker hole was done with one of those bits usually used to cut holes in a hollow-core door--I forget what they're called.  Anyway I just bought the 1.5" one, and fed some oil to it to smooth the way.  The bit is definitely not built for metal but it worked fine.

Ruby Tuby?  That's not a tube-cased Ruby, is it?  Oh man...

brad

...so the circular bit won't fly off and kill me will it?  :shock:

The Ruby Tuby is a regular Ruby amp with a tube in it.  There's also an all tube version.  Both run off a 12v wall wart:
http://www.geocities.com/slajeunesse/ruby_tuby.html
http://www.geocities.com/slajeunesse/low-volume.html

radio

Waou

That s the one in a shop you d have to wait until

dozends of them have been ordered again!!!

Whereas how can we now remember those

build before ,it's like in "Men in black":

With incorporated memory erasing function! :o

What was I talking about :lol:

Congratulations    JMErnzer
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!