News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

UNIBIT

Started by inverseroom, March 03, 2005, 07:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inverseroom

Well, I just got myself one of these:

Let me tell you, there is nothing in the world better for drilling holes into Hammond boxes.  Cuts through it like butter.  A little 3-in-1 is all you need to smooth it along.  $32, highly recommended.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Get yourself some Cool Tool, & your unibit (or any other drill bit) will last a lot longer.
http://www.machinetoolsforsale.com/Fluids.htm
Or if you are cheap, use salad oil :wink:

hairyandy

I've made about 6 boxes so far and I haven't used any liquid or lube on my Unibit.  So far it seems fine and it's a Costco special, not even an Irwin.  Is it gonna die on me soon?  Should I be lubing it up, and if so can I use something cheap and easy from around the house like Olive oil?

Thanks,
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

troubledtom

i hate them, sorry :?
      -tt

smashinator

Quote from: hairyandyI've made about 6 boxes so far and I haven't used any liquid or lube on my Unibit.  So far it seems fine and it's a Costco special, not even an Irwin.  Is it gonna die on me soon?  Should I be lubing it up, and if so can I use something cheap and easy from around the house like Olive oil?

Thanks,

DUDE! :shock:    Put SOME kind of oil on there.  If you want cheap and easy and around the house, use WD-40.  It works well as a light cutting oil.  I wouldn't try and machine anything with it, but it works well for our purposes.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - George Bernard Shaw

http://pizzacrusade.blogspot.com/

Outlaws

Quote from: hairyandyI've made about 6 boxes so far and I haven't used any liquid or lube on my Unibit.  So far it seems fine and it's a Costco special, not even an Irwin.  Is it gonna die on me soon?  Should I be lubing it up, and if so can I use something cheap and easy from around the house like Olive oil?

Thanks,

I haven't used any oil on my hammond boxes yet.  Aluminum is a soft metal.  Plus its only 1/8" thick.  Granted I use normal drill bits, not the Uni bit, but I haven't had it heat up at all.  ...now drilling angle iron...thats a different story.  ;)

Karmasound

How long does one of those mivhoppers last?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: KarmasoundHow long does one of those mivhoppers last?
On aluminum boxes, pretty well 'forever'. Longer with lube...
now be honest, who would have thought that "Cool Tool II" WASN'T one of 'those' movies :shock:

nightingale

i buy the cheap ones from: http://www.harborfreight.com/

they cost about 8 bucks.
i have probably drilled about 30 or so hammond boxes with with the same one.. no grease!

it is almost as they re-sharpen themselves at times. i guess i should mention that i use a drill press..

hth,
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

MartyB

One thing that just occurred to me is that since there is no "handedness" with this bit, you could set your drill for reverse and still use it (if it gets dull one direction).
MartyB

Hal

is oil a usual nessecity when drilling metal?

I dont use either - I use steel and standard "titanium plated" bits...no oil bad?

onboard

Hey, I remember something around here about being able to use the Unibit in a hand drill if you center punch yer marks good enough? That would be cool not to have to go to where the drill press is...
-Ryan
"Bound to cover just a little more ground..."

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: Halis oil a usual nessecity when drilling metal?
I dont use either - I use steel and standard "titanium plated" bits...no oil bad?

When a drill is working optimally, you get a spiral of metal shaving, not filings (at least, with steel or hard aluminiuum, soft cast alloys probably won't do this).
The theory is, the cutting surface of the bit is acting like a chisel, the more smoothly it runs, the less heat is generated. Heat is a great runier of bits (if the bit gets too hot, the edge undergoes a metallurgical change & it isn't tough any more).
There is an optimum drill speed (depending on diameter of drill & nature of material), it is usually MUCH lower than you think! And the lube has two uses, 1. reduces frictional heating 2. carries the heat away.

You wouldn't abuse your guitar or amp, why abuse your tools? :wink:
There are many very cheap secondhand metal shop texts in thrifts etc, good reading.

hairyandy

Hey Onboard,

I use my Unibit with my B&D Firestorm cordless hand drill and it works like a champ.  I bought a cheap drill press but the Unibit is really long and it doesn't work for every cut.  I find it's easier and faster to just use the hand drill...

My $.02,
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Sometimes it helps to mark a unibit, so you can see if you are at the right step!

rubberlips

QuoteYou wouldn't abuse your guitar or amp, why abuse your tools? Wink
I think Pete Townsend did both  :lol: They didn't convict him for the third :)
play it hard, play it LOUD!

Hal

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)
Quote from: Halis oil a usual nessecity when drilling metal?

When a drill is working optimally, you get a spiral of metal shaving, not filings (at least, with steel or hard aluminiuum, soft cast alloys probably won't do this).
The theory is, the cutting surface of the bit is acting like a chisel, the more smoothly it runs, the less heat is generated. Heat is a great runier of bits (if the bit gets too hot, the edge undergoes a metallurgical change & it isn't tough any more).
There is an optimum drill speed (depending on diameter of drill & nature of material), it is usually MUCH lower than you think! And the lube has two uses, 1. reduces frictional heating 2. carries the heat away.

You wouldn't abuse your guitar or amp, why abuse your tools? :wink:
There are many very cheap secondhand metal shop texts in thrifts etc, good reading.

when I've having a hard time I ususally use water to take away the heat.  My $20 50-piece drill bit set has lasted a couple of years, so I don't think I'm abusing it too much....