Pots on a schem - Did I get this right?

Started by O, March 04, 2005, 12:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O

Ok, say I'm looking at a schem and it has a drawing of a pot like below. Are the numbers corresponding to the actual pot correct? I think I got it, but I want to make sure before I etch the layout and find out that the pot is backwards (I'm using PC mounted pots).

thanks! :)

vanhansen

http://www.diystompboxes.com/cnews/FAQ.html

Pots - How do I wire pots?

In short, you have it backwards, unless you want it to work that way.  :D

Hmmm, that would be a great gag.  "Hey honey, turn down my amp for me will ya?"  She proceeds to turn the knob counterclockwise and gets blown away at the same time.  :lol:
Erik

petemoore

Volpot wired signal in one side, out the middle and ground to tha other side...just turn it up, look at which lug your turning of the shaft is 'going toward, then figure CW hooks to signal side, and CCW goes to the ground side...if you get it wrong reverse the outside lugs.
 Some of these gain knobs is backwards...so I have to kind of figure out whether increasing or decreasing resistance is what makes it go 'up'...just reversing the wiring exactly...so 1 2 3 becomes 3 2 1...two is Always in the middle...
 Actually I forget all of them, but have to refigure OA Clippers, FF's, and between gain stage attenuator types.
 Maybe one day I type something up, tells which way to look at a pot, and which way the knob needs to turn to increase Resistance, and whether that increases or decreases gain in common circuits.
 ALot of what I know or forgot about that is experimentation reversing outside lug connections or N/C's.
 Connecting the wiper to the outside lug is exactly the same as Not Connecting the wiper to an outside lug if the pot's good.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

onboard

Peek at this thread about pot lug numbering.

I think the definative answer is the last post...
-Ryan
"Bound to cover just a little more ground..."

toneman

get an ohmmeter out.
use it 2 determine which end the wiper goes 2 when rotated.
your jpg doesn't indicate "front" or "rear" view.
Stayohmed
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!