Guv'nor Clone w/ 2 Channels?

Started by Matteran, March 04, 2005, 04:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matteran

I plan on making a Guv'nor, and i was reading something on another forum, talking about how the Guv'nor is so versatile, then he said, "i only wish it had two channels." And I thought, genius.

How would you do that? I guess you could have two circuits in one box, but then you'd have two pairs of knobs and all that.

Is there a way to do it without having two sets of knobs?

mojotron

Quote from: MatteranHow would you do that??

One thought is to put a boost circuit infront of the Guv circuit. This would push the pedal more in one setting...

The other thing might be to have the output of the IC (pin1) for the 1st stage flip from the wiper of the gain pot to the unused arm of the gain pot... as you raise the gain you increase the drive on this setting as well...

These are 2 things I have liked to do with the Guvnor circuit... but you don't need to create 2 complete circuits - that's a lot of knobs!!

NaBo

im confused... isn't the whole purpose of your having two channels to be able to switch between different settings on the fly?  you can't dial in two different settings for each channel without using two separate pots.  you could use dual concentric pots (ridiculously expensive)...  you could use dual gang pots for something like the volume knob where you probably would want the setting to remain the same for each channel maybe.
That's with two entire circuits.

What is it that you would like to change from channel to channel?  just gain, just eq, or both?  if its just gain, you could do it with an spdt switch that switches in a separate gain pot that you can set independently of the first, using just one circuit.  you might be able to do the EQ with a 3pdt or 4pdt... I forget how the tone stack is wired.  for both you may unfortunately need two switches or two circuits.  So it really all depends on what you want

j0shua

Marshall Guv'knor is a crap hehehehehehehe....

Dual channel .... hmmm no sence

if you like good Distortion from marshall for cheap price  JACKHAMMER is good lot's gain ! ......

if you wana do a good Distortion unit the good one is BSIAB or BSIABII

Matteran

well, guv'nor is supposed to be awesome on bass. and that's what i play.

How is this done? 3 Channel Sansamp

Only one set of knobs for 3 channels. I only want 2 channels, but i'm sure it's the same principle

NaBo

that was kinda unnecessary, and it's just your personal opinion.  let him build what he wants, and if he's happy with it, then it's all good.

j0shua

Nabo i agree whit you ...sorry about guys!

hmmm for bass guitar is a good option .......

NaBo

no prob j0shua, just remember that the subject of what sounds good can be debated forever, but it all boils down to what your own personal taste is  :wink:

Matt, to answer your Q about the sansamp, it only uses one set of knobs because it is digitally programmed:

"Digital only in its programmability, you just tweak the knobs until you find a tone, double-tap on a footswitch, and it’s saved in that channel."

Not sure how complex this part of the circuit is, but generally, digital = tiny surface mount parts, computer-programmed ICs (tiny things with like 28-pins), etc etc.  Digital isn't very DIY friendly... at all  :?

Matteran

hmm, so maybe it'd just be best to maybe just make two different distortion pedals, so i could just have two different styles of distortion.

I guess i'll probably make a fuzz for a more hardcore distortion. Hmm. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

d95err

It should be possible to have 2 gain pots and two volume pots, and then use a footswitch to select which pair of knobs is in use. However, I don't know how many poles this would require on the switch.

Oliver

Quote from: d95errIt should be possible to have 2 gain pots and two volume pots, and then use a footswitch to select which pair of knobs is in use. However, I don't know how many poles this would require on the switch.

HI,

perhaps to switch the Pots, switch the whole Circuit instead!
Build two identical or different Distortion/Overdrive Circuits and
select by footswitch between them.

I build my ColdFirePro DualChannel Overdrive/Distortion, which You can
switch ON/OFF (Bypass) and if its ON, select between Channel 1 and
Channel2 (see Picture)
Each Side has its own controls. The Circuit is based onto am modded Tubescreamer TS808 Circuit - tuned for more Outputreserve and switchable to CleanBoost = CompCut or Distortion = Hardclipping, like the Sonic Distortion.
The second Channel is also tuned in the Overdriveclippingstage with other diode configuration (using an AC128 Germanium Transistor as a Diode)

here is a Building report (in German) but with a good Schematic.
As You could see in the Schematic, i only used parts from the Circuits to switch between to save parts and room.
The Board could be placed in an Hammond 1590BB Enclosure.
http://diy.musikding.de/berichte/eff/coldfire/coldfire1.html

bye
Oliver

The Board is a Snapshoot during the construction (i changed some Parts later = the Clipping Stages for example)
And shortly i added an 8K resistor to short the LED powersupply in Bypass, to see which channel is actually in use. So in Bypass the LED
is not dark, but glows slightly.

i posted a report some time ago, but if You like to hear that Pedal,
listen to that:
http://diy.musikding.de/berichte/eff/coldfire/coldfire4.html

or klick trough the building report for some more Pictures  :wink:
Only dead Fishes go with the flow... >-))))-°>

onboard

That's cool oliver 8) Picking spots to switch, instead of two complete circuits, is smart - like you said it saves parts and space.

Matteran, I'm imagining things now... how about picking three caps in the Guv'nor tone stack that change it's response the most - and use a 3PDT stomp switch two toggle between them? Anyone know if that would work?

Here's my dual channel preamp with two independant circuits. The clean channel is only level controled, the voiced channel includes an active midrange and the bright switch. Once you dive into it, putting two channels in one box is pretty fun!

16mm pots are probably better to save space - you could have all seperate controls, no problem.

Here's a link to the schematic,so you can see the two circuits - SW1a and b are 2/3 of the 3PDT "Select" switch, and the other lugs handle the LED's. The bypass switch is wired the same as a single channel effect, with the circuit in/out connected to SW1.
-Ryan
"Bound to cover just a little more ground..."

Oliver

Hi,

Onboard - that looks very cool !!! nice Work.

Three Caps the same Time? would work, but You have no Status LED to control optical which Setting is aktually running.
Perhaps use a 4PDT StompSwitch if existing...

Or You can work with one or more Relais (but i dont know how)

bye
Oliver
Only dead Fishes go with the flow... >-))))-°>

onboard

Why thank ya - likewise!!!

Quotebut You have no Status LED to control optical which Setting is aktually running.

True, true. Maybe pick two and use the third row for LED? How's about adapting Runoffgroove's new Tonemender? You could get creative and end up with a control that allows choosing different tone flavors - with the same level and gain settings.
-Ryan
"Bound to cover just a little more ground..."