Making Lofo less harsh

Started by Matteran, March 04, 2005, 04:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matteran

So i built the lofomofo, and got it working on the first try (second stompbox built), but i've noticed some of the high end can be a little harsh. There's just too much. I know if you increase the value of the intput and output caps i could get rid of that, but i don't want to increase bass responce. How would i do this?

Johnny G

two things you could do.

one would be to put a small capacitor to ground after the output cap (in paralel with the 100k volume pot essentially) that would shunt some of the high end to ground.

the other alternative would be to put a small cap again in paralel with the two 100k resistors. between the collector and base of the transistor. this would give some negative feedback for the high end.

advantage of the first option would be that you could put a pot in series with the capacitor to make a low pass tone circuit. so you could change between high and fizzy lofi fun and not so high and fizzy lofi fun

with the second option you would be stuck with the cap there. unless of course you uses a switch to to switch the cap in and out of the circuit. that way you wouldnt have quite the range of sounds as with the tone circuit but it may be a bit easier. after all i dont even know how useful a tone circuit would be

in either case put a socket in so you can change the capacitor value. id start with a nominal value of about 22pico farads. more if it still has too much high. a lower value if you want more high end back

hope thats all helpful. tell us how it goes
LET US INSTIGATE THE REVOLT,DOWN WITH THE SYSTEM!