MXR Distortion+ diode mod COMPLETE!!!!

Started by Outlaws, March 04, 2005, 08:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Outlaws

Man this was a tight fit.  I need some smaller wire in my collection because getting 20 gauge in there was a true test of solder strength and making things as short as possible without not having enough to get the switch in.

But its done.  Its not a massive sound change, but it is very noticable.

I actually used NTE109 ge diodes becuase no one in town stocks the 1n270, but it looked like all the specs matched up.

Here are a few photos if anyone wants to see.  :)

I am really happy with this one.

http://berntson.us/guitar/mxr/mxr_mod.htm

onboard

Dang, could you use a bigger switch? :wink:

Nice job.
-Ryan
"Bound to cover just a little more ground..."

Outlaws

Quote from: onboardDang, could you use a bigger switch? :wink:

Nice job.

:lol:

I looked...and looked...and looked......................at one store.  :P

That was the smallest thing they.  Radio shack has ultra minis, but those are made in China or somewhere.  This one is a Philmore and made in Japan so I decided since it was within my measurements for space, I would try it.  Hopefully it is a better quality switch (because of the price  OMG!  :!:  :!: ), but anyhow it works.

Fret Wire

Did you end up needing to lower the output resistor?
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Outlaws

Quote from: Fret WireDid you end up needing to lower the output resistor?

No.  I decided it still has enough volume.  From the start when it was stock it still had to be at almost 4 o'clock to be a hair lounder than the clean signal, but its okay.

I might build one based on it with the active circuit I saw on the net.  Where the diodes are not grounded out, this are in the circuit.  And if taken out of it the box will work like a compressor.  I will add a whole slew of diode options into that one, and lower the output resistor on it.

But hey, FretWire...

Was there anything other than the diodes and the 10K volume pot that was changed form the original script version?  Anything that would be noticable in the sound department?

This germanium diode isn't a massive change, but it was enlough to stop and say, "omg thats nice."   :)

Fret Wire

No changes for component values. The script had carbon comps, tantulam caps for the 1uf's (which the reissue has), and ceramics for the rest of the caps. So nothing really noticeable sound wise. The original's volume pot was spec'd for 50k log. Sometime later, they subbed in 10k's for awhile.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Tajmoben

What type of leds did you use???
do you know the mouser part number by chance????

Outlaws

Quote from: TajmobenWhat type of leds did you use???
do you know the mouser part number by chance????

LEDs?

I only swapped out the LED for the light.  I didn't use any LEDs for clipping diodes.

But for the Light, get a SuperBright.  I don't have a Mouser number.  I tried looking, but that website gives me a headache.  lol

Basic info you need...

5mm
SuperBright (or Diffused..if thats all you can find)
20mA