Anybody tried the inductor winding kit from small bear?

Started by trjones1, March 04, 2005, 10:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trjones1

The Halo replicas from the UK are getting close to $40 US, plus shipping.  Anybody tried to wind your own Halo replica?  The kit at small bear is $7.  I was thinking of trying it out, even doing a hand winding to get no overlaps.  Is this worth it?  Anybody have experiences to share?  Good, bad?

Matteran

Triffid

I wanted to try this too, but i thought i would need a means to measure the inductance to get it right... i don't have that yet.   Anyone know of a cheap way to measure inductance?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

www.sxlist.com/techref/inductor/measure.htm gives a hint.

Strictly speaking, you don't even need an oscillator, you could use 60Hz from an AC output wart (12v or less, please!) or 50Hz here in Oz & adjust the maths. Mind you, all the harmonics in the mains will put it a bit off, but will be close enuff for rock&roll.

Well, there is one thing slightly wrong wiht the above, it assumes that there will be no resistance in the winding (for a coil on a ferrite core, I think that is close enough). But a more precise method, is to use a capacitor to make a tuned circuit wiuth the inductance, force it to oscillate, and check the frequency, then do the maths.
Like so: http://members.tripod.com/michaelgellis/68hc11/ind.html

Triffid

Thanks for the reply... to clarify a little...

1.  How exactly would you use the 60hz from the wall?

2.  In the first formula please correct me if these are wrong... L = inductance, f = frequency, Z = ?resistance?

3.  If you can't change the frequency, just change the resistance to get the correct voltage right?

Thanks again...   I'll probably just build that quick oscillator at geo then