PSpice/Orcad/Cadence

Started by jbm222, March 05, 2005, 12:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbm222

I tried modeling a distortion pedal with Orcad Capture 9.2 LE.  I wanted to be able to model the circuit in software so I can easily see the effects of changing various component values without actually building the circuit.  I set up a 2V sinusoid input source, and for some reason the output isn't showing any clipping, but instead is really small.   Has anyone ever tried using software like this to model effects?  Has it worked?  How do you go about setting up the input and output?

j0shua

What kind of effect you like to change , can you post here the schematic?

mojotron

Gladmarr

Pspice is pretty tricky as far as simulation of circuits.  The program only works on mathematic simulations of parts, so the mathematic precision gets worse as you build a circuit.  To make matters worse, there are known bugs with their software, and that makes some of the simulations come out wrong.  Even if you get something close to what you want in simulation, you will still have to tweak it when you get to real world parts, because they are never like the simulated parts.  Unfortunately, there is no way around actually building the circuit and going through it over and over until you get the sound you want.

Jason Stout

Quote from: jbm222I tried modeling a distortion pedal with Orcad Capture 9.2 LE.  I wanted to be able to model the circuit in software so I can easily see the effects of changing various component values without actually building the circuit.  I set up a 2V sinusoid input source, and for some reason the output isn't showing any clipping, but instead is really small.   Has anyone ever tried using software like this to model effects?  Has it worked?  How do you go about setting up the input and output?

Hmmm, Does the circuit design use any Meg-Ohm resistors to ground? I ask because Orcad sees 1m as "one milli-Ohm." If you want meg-Ohms the m needs to be IN CAPS like this "1M"
I usually type 1Meg without any troubles.
Jason Stout

downweverything

actually for me even 1M doesnt work, i have to type 1MEG.  Keep at it, im sure its a simple problem like that.  even though it cant replace building the circuit it can be a quite useful tool when you figure it out.