Never met a girl like you before....

Started by rubberlips, March 05, 2005, 08:30:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rubberlips

Just wanted to ask, on that song - can't remember the person that put the song out...what was the fuzz they used on the track (sound slike a fuzz face or maybe a tone bender for my ears). But does anyone know??

And also that crazy electronic sound on the verse?? Some sort of envelope filter maybe??

Easy song to pray...hard to pronounce....Johnny Walker easy to drink

Pete
play it hard, play it LOUD!

MartyMart

"Edwin Collins"   yeah sounds like a fuzz face with "zero" low end in it !!
not sure if the "filtering" sound is processed gtr or a synth ?

Cool noises !
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Rodgre

It's not a Fuzz Face. It's a Tone Bender. I have an article around here from the UK magazine, Guitar where he talks about it. I'll look for that.

The sound in the verse sounds like a studio trick of step filtering a sound. Probably a sample.

from Guitargeek:

Roger

WildMountain

Sounds also a little like he plugged his tonebender straight into the mixing desk. Don't know if he did though, but it has a kind of 80's-meets-fuzz face feel to it.

Pedal love

I was watching a video of that song and low and behold there is a closeup of an RM Classic Fuzz. Watch for it. pl

rubberlips

I guess there's probably not much difference between a tone bender and RM Classic fuzz in terms of sound

Pete
play it hard, play it LOUD!

Rodgre

As for seeing a RM fuzz in the video, bear in mind that it's a video. Sometimes they use something for visual effect that isn't really what they recorded with. Also, sometimes the director has the pedal as a prop!

Anyway, the Guitar article I mentioned talks about how he's had that Tone Bender forever and it's THE tone of "A Girl Like You"

Roger

Pedal love

object88

Err, I thought I knew that song from somewhere, but I don't know the name Edwin Collins at all.  Perhaps there are some covers by other bands...?

RDV

Quote from: object88Err, I thought I knew that song from somewhere, but I don't know the name Edwin Collins at all.  Perhaps there are some covers by other bands...?
Where were you in 1995?

RDV

object88

Hmmm, listening to the likes of Godflesh, Sepultura, etc.  :D

Joe Viau

Maybe David Bowie? He did that song with some interesting guitar noises in it.

object88

Quote from: Joe ViauMaybe David Bowie? He did that song with some interesting guitar noises in it.

Yes, that's exactly it.  Thanks!

RDV

David Bowie never did that song, it just sounds like him.

Sorry

RDV

H.Manback

I wrote nonsense here

Edit: Wow :shock: he sounds EXACTLY like Bowie then, I always thought it was Bowie doh, never mind what I typed before, Edwyn Collins, that's the one.

object88

Well, I feel like a fool.   :lol:

At least I didn't post that it was Iggy Pop.  Some online lyrics databases have him listed as having performed the song... while that sounded plausible (given that Pop's performed a variety of styles), it didn't quite sound right.  But apparently I was more than happy to believe it was Bowie.   :roll:

Thanks for the correction!

RDV

You know there's a bunch of tunes with that title I think. I know the Kinks had one.

RDV

H.Manback

Found 4 on allmusic.com, but the song it's about ironically isn't called that way :) (A Girl Like You is the title)

space_ryerson

Edwyn unfortunately had a brain hemorhage (sp?) two weeks ago. It looks like he is going to be ok though.
I've been a fan of his work for a while. One of my favorite songs of his is this one about the history of the beatles. Great song. I think it's simply called 'the beatles'. I saw him live once, but it was acoustic, so I can't help you with the type of fuzz he used. :lol:

puretube

Quote from: RDVYou know there's a bunch of tunes with that title I think. I know the Kinks had one.

RDV

wasn`t that The Troggs`: With A Girl Like You (ba-ba-ba-ba-baa...)
8)