Just ripped open a monitor...

Started by Hal, March 06, 2005, 10:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hal

WOW there was cool stuff inside!  My last one was cool, but not _this_ cool.  Besides for hookup wire, and hopefully more trimpots than I have found, the normal monitor stuff, there were 40ish red film caps.  I pulled 20 in less than 10 minutes, and I'll do the rest another time.  Good find :-D!

It was an old sony VAIO monitor, with built in speakers that I have yet to play with.

j0shua

becarefull whit Flyback! ........ have 25,000 volts inside ....

niftydog

Quotebecarefull whit Flyback! ........ have 25,000 volts inside ....

only when running, and with only a tiny current.

The danger is actually in the large capacitors on the board, and from the tube itself (which is infact an enormous capacitor).

There's sometimes some hoopy op amps inside too.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

bryantabuteau

Heh, my 19" stopped working recently, so I pulled it apart, and now I have a huge source of big and small caps and resistors.  Good use to put old broken monitors to.

Hal

there were even more on the other board on the monitor.  Better estimate is closer to 80 :-D.  Score!  

And colorful hookup wire, not the white with blue lines that the last monitor I stripped had.  But it only had 2 trimmers, while the other one had 12 :-\

Hal

can't edit - but my image didn't work, I guess it doesn't like not having an extention.

http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=21yoes

Paul Marossy

Wow. You got all of those from one monitor?!

Hal

Quote from: Paul MarossyWow. You got all of those from one monitor?!

hahahahahaha exactly how I felt, and why I felt a need to share :-D.  The picure doesn't do 'em justice, they look so much more impressive in real life. :-D

Paul Marossy

I tore open one of those old "heavy duty" office fax machines a few years ago and found a gold mine of caps and other stuff in there. I used those caps in a lot of my builds.