TS9 Too Nasal

Started by T-Von, March 06, 2005, 10:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Von

I love my Tube Screamers.  I have 3.  I have performed several mods on them.  The usual resistor and cap changes to enhance the low end, etc.  But the nasaly tone is still there.  Is there a way to get rid of the mid hump and even of the mids?

Thanx,

T-Von

Transmogrifox

I think you could do it with some added stuff floating over the circuit board.  I can't think of a place in the circuit offhand that would cater to this sort of thing.  You can make the filter cap immediately after the distortion stage larger, but that would make it more woofy, and would drop your higher end down a bit--though it would provide a bit of a notch on the mids.  Give that a try.

Otherwise, take an EQ post-TS9 and adjust it until it sounds right, just to see if you can be satisfied with the sound.  Then see if you can make a passive circiut that comes close to what your EQ does.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

SnooP_Wiggles

what opamp are you using. if its a jrc4558 try instead an rc4558p, tl072, or a burr brown opamp. the opamp makes a big difference. I've tried the jrc4588, rc4588p and tl072 and the jrc4558 has the big vocal midrange (which you don't want), while the others are much more neutral with no mid hump

cd

Junk them.  Seriously.  That's the TS sound, you can do all the mods you want but then it wouldn't be a TS.  An opamp swap will not make a big EQ change despite what others may say - you're better off changing the filters (easier and more dramatic results), but then it wouldn't be a TS.

Mark Hammer

CD is right.  The whole "thing" about a TS is that it uses precompensation/decompensation strategy to yield a smoother clip (see article at GEOFEX).  Changing the compensation employed will change the pedal into something else.

The best way I can personally think of to attain the same effect without the "nasal hump" is to change the various bass limiting capacitors in the TS for full bandwidth, and precede the TS itself with a good compressor.

Why?  The TS is designed to precompensate for the differential "proximity to clip" of different frequency ranges (low end will necessarily clip more than mids and highs).  By restricting the dynamics and level of the entire frequency range, you achieve an equal "proximity to clip" across the entire spectrum, removing the necessity of using a precomp-decomp strategy.

bwanasonic

Quote from: cdJunk them.  Seriously.  That's the TS sound, you can do all the mods you want but then it wouldn't be a TS.  An opamp swap will not make a big EQ change despite what others may say - you're better off changing the filters (easier and more dramatic results), but then it wouldn't be a TS.

I don't know about junking them, and I have never heard an opamp swap in one make a radical difference in EQ. But in a way it is a bit like asking "I love the sound of my fuzz tone, but how do I get rid of the fuzz?"  :wink: When I replaced the tantalums in my TS with poly films, it lost a bit of the nasal tone, but I wasn't very fond of what I was left with. As others have said, it didn't sound like a TS, and not in a good way. Replacing the 1uf NP electros with metal film is a nice improvement that retains the character of the pedal. OTH- since you have three, you probably don't much care  if one of them no longer sounds like a TS! Keep in mind that that nasal hump was designed to cut thru in a band setting. You may come up with something that sounds good by itself, but gets lost in the mix in a live setting.  You might just want to start with a different pedal.

Kerry M

T-Von

I have tried several different OCs.  Didn't have an affect on the EQ just the gain structure.  I have a OPA2134PA innit at present and really like the slightly cleaner edge it gives.  I have also played around with caps and a few resistors.  But, it seems no matter what I change that nasal tone is present.  I have a SD-1 that I modded and am really happy with.  I know the SD-1 and the TS are very similar layouts.  

I was able to flatten the curve on the SD-1.  In fact, the bass is almost too hyped and the overall tone seems a little scooped.  But I'm happy with it.  On a side note.  On the SD-1 I socketed the OC and replaced the stock RJC4558D with a RC4558P.  The RC4558P sounded really bad almost splatty compared to the RJC4558P which was smooth rich with singing sustain.  I've tried different chips in my TS and there's not a dimes difference between any of them except for some are a little cleaner than others.

T-Von

Ben N

Bottom line is that it is hard to do it all with the same pedal.  I keep two pedals on my board, one <>flat eq, like a BD2 or a (currently) a Barber Direct Drive for a nice ampy tone for rhythm or blues tone controlled from the guitar, and a TS or SD-1 for punchy lead tones.  They sound great together.

Ben
  • SUPPORTER

T-Von

Totally agree.  Currently I have a BD-2 and a SD-1 in my live rig.  But I'd love to incorporate the TS also.  But right now it just seems out of place.

T-Von