Glitchy footswitch on Tonebone Classic.

Started by Burstbucker, March 07, 2005, 07:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burstbucker

I bought a Tonebone Classic about four months ago and the footswitch is getting a little bit flakey all of a sudden.  Once in a while when you step on the footswitch to bypass the effect, the guitar signal disappears completely or you can hear a faint/crackling signal in the background, step on it a couple more times and everything is fine and dandy again.

Tonebone said that I can send them the unit (at my expense) and they'll fix it under warranty but I don't want to part with it because who knows how long it'll take for them to send it back to me!?  Plus it kind of irks me that I have to pay out of pocket for shipping charges when I didn't abuse the pedal, it's not my fault that the unit is acting up.  I should add that I haven't gigged with it and have barely used it over the four months that I've had the pedal.

Also, I'm kind of wondering if the 3PDT footswitch is really defective after all because it only happened a handful of times and I've had this same problem happen to brand-new, expensive Fulltone 3PDT footswitches.  Those footswitches acted up a little bit in the begining too but they've never given me anymore since!  Weird!!!

So I don't know if I'll bother sending Tonebone the pedal and see if the problem remedies itself.  I think that it's kind of the nature of the beast when dealing with these 3PDT footswitches.  Would you agree?

ocelot

If its a 3dpt switch replace it yourself by one from Aron and it will be cheaper than frieght.
I just got a bunch of transistors from Aron aririved in 4 days and I live in Australia !!

Cheers

PS is the tonebone any good ?

Burstbucker

That'll void the warranty completely.

I'm pretty sure that Tonebone uses a board mounted switch too so I don't know if just any footswitch will fit?

ocelot

well what are you trying to say then ??

just send it back

Burstbucker

What I'm saying is that I'm probably better off not sending it away.  I'll wait and see if the problem crops up again.  

If I'm lucky, it'll clear up on its own but if the problem persists, I'll get them to send me a new switch and take my chances doing the switch replacement work myself.  I just don't think it's fair to have to pay for S&H when it's their problem, it's just a matter of principle for me.

Burstbucker

ocelot-

Oh yeah, BTW, despite the glitchy footswitch, I do like the Tonebone Classic very much.  It's a great sounding pedal and I doubt I'll ever part with it.

Regards.