Replacing 5089's with 5088's in Shocktave circuit

Started by trjones1, March 08, 2005, 10:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trjones1

I'm looking to build a pedal this weekend with parts I have on hand.  I have everything to build the shocktave with (it's either that or the green ringer), but I don't have any 5089's, only 5088's.  Will these be acceptable in this circuit?  I don't know of the higher noise of the 5088's would overpower the effect.  Does anyone know?  Also, where do you guys get sockets for caps and resistors?  I've looked on Mouser, but the huge catalog defeated me.

j0shua

Mark Hammer

Yes, they are not the same *identical* transistor, but where one works the other one will too.  The 2N5089 is lower noise than the 5088, in terms of specs.  Whether you would notice the difference in this context the way you would if you were making a mic preamp or a phono preamp is another matter.  Besides, there is probably enough individual variation in both 5088's and 5089's that it probably shuldn't make a difference.

If you feel apprehensive, just install the 5088's in a way that lets you easily remove them, and replace them with 5089's when you get some.  Be sure to use some form of socket or else heat-sinking when desoldering.

mojotron

Quote from: trjones1Also, where do you guys get sockets for caps and resistors?  I've looked on Mouser, but the huge catalog defeated me.
mouser 575-113120 ... These little guys are great for any socket needs, just break them off of the line of 2 or 3 (for transistors) - they are quite universal.

Also, I would guess that in most cases you won't find 2 transistors more related than the 2n5088 and 2n5089.. go use the 2n5088 - it should work fine.

Here is the URL to the sockets... make sure they are what you want...
http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=displayproduct&lstdispproductid=255134