News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Thin Fuzz

Started by jmusser, March 08, 2005, 07:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmusser

I like thin trebley sounding fuzzes from time to time, and I was wondering what is the best one for that sound, and the best way to set it up. I know that one of the keys of this, is to use low value input and output caps, but I'm not sure what other factors are involved. I really like SRVs version of the Si Tone Bender using .01 caps in and out, but would like a fuzz that's even more thin than that. I've heard once that the Rite Fuzz may be in that category. I'm wondering at what point the cap choice takes you out of the fuzz mode, and into the booster mode?
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

MartyMart

Try the "LOFOMOFO" which is "ultra" thin fuzz as stock !
I turned mine into a great sounding fuzz with all three caps much bigger
( .1uf and two 1uf ) but if you went somewhere in the middle of the values, you may get just what you want !!
Perhaps .047uf (473) and two 0.1uf's (104)  ??
Other mods were :
Use a BC549B/BC549C transistor not a 2N2222
Delete the 500k "grit" pot and use a 1M resistor where lugs 3/1 connected
Delete the schottky diode and put a 1n cap from Q's base to ground to roll off a bit of fizz. ( thats optional )
The vero layout was posted up by "Dragonfly" in his "LOFOMOFO" thread, but for more space on the board use an extra three "holes" of vero.

Cheers,
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Oliver

Hi,

does anybody know that kind of "fuzz"? is used in that old "Canned Heat" Song "lets work together" ?

The Same Sound can be heared in the song "WhiteRoom" from Cream..

is that a special kind of Fuzz?

thanxx for suggestions

Oliver
Only dead Fishes go with the flow... >-))))-°>

nightingale

jmusser,
are you working on a jordan bosstone? that is a pretty neat sounding "thin" fuzz.

also,
i think that the easy face with the gagans "pre-gain", and the "input cap blend" that you drew the EZ-build schematic  for,  is one of the most versatile fuzzes i have ever heard.
hope this helps man,
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

petemoore

White Room is Wah Fuzz I think.
 FOr "Work Together" great song, great concept !!!...don't know exactly...
 Youu can get dern close IMO using a tube amp and a fairly simple [tuned] Fuzz.
 Maybe someone around here knows exactly.
 I'd guess FF or TB on the Canned Heat, and Wah TB on the White Room.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

jmusser

I guess I thought of the LoFoMoFo as sort of like what you would hear from an old 78 record player, and it's hard to think of that tone in the context of fuzz. Since you've metioned it, I would say that it would be just the tone I'm looking for. It's like several of the gadgets we make, it's not something you would want all the time, but it's something that would be fun to have in your arsenal. The Easy Face cap blend is something I need to go back and change back to what you see on the drawing. I have a lower and lowest set of cap values in there now, because I like the Sabbath (Iomi) type tone I get with it, but it does cut down on the versatility. Thanks guys. I'm going to go work on the Boss Tone.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

David

Quote from: petemooreWhite Room is Wah Fuzz I think.
 FOr "Work Together" great song, great concept !!!...don't know exactly...
 Youu can get dern close IMO using a tube amp and a fairly simple [tuned] Fuzz.
 Maybe someone around here knows exactly.
 I'd guess FF or TB on the Canned Heat, and Wah TB on the White Room.

I think you're right on White Room.  "Let's Work Together" sounds kind of like the guitarist is pounding the crap out of a real small tube amp.  He could have also borrowed the trick Norman Greenbaum supposedly used on "Spirit in the Sky".  Urban legend suggests  that Norman razored the cone on his speaker.

You know, if Brian Wenz or Lonestar Johnny are still lurking around, I bet they could give us the answers!!