Tri-Negistor Questions!

Started by inverseroom, March 10, 2005, 07:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inverseroom

I have this little pile of metal can 2N2222A's, and was looking for something to do with 'em...and naturally visited the Moosapotamus page for inspiration.  I ended up getting started on a Tri-Negistor.  I've already asked Charlie a couple of questions (which he answered with the usual warnings and caveats), but I figured I'd leave him be for a minute and pose a few to you all.

1) A lot of people here seem to have trouble running the Tri-neg on 9 volts.  Should I build in a power jack in case I need 12?  Or should the metal 2222's start negisting under 9, as Charlie's do?

2) A lot of people have complained that the oscillator pots only have any effect at the bottom of the travel.  I've got a few 10K's lying around and will give them a shot--anyone have any luck with these?

3) On charlie's wiring layout there seems to be a diode on a wire that is carrying positive voltage (??!) to ground on the output jack.  What ought I to put here?  I have a bunch of 1N400x's and assume they're the ones to use, but I'm not sure...

4) And where should ground be?  The back of the volume pot perhaps?

Thanks everyone...
John.

moosapotamus

I don't have datasheets handy at the moment, John. But, as long as you don't exceed the voltage ratings of the components you're using, an external power jack might be a good idea. Just make sure you keep the polarity straight, you know... tip neg or tip pos. :wink:

Also, regarding pot values, if the smaller values don't give the results you're looking for, you might also try putting a fixed resistor in series with a pot to get the resistance across the pot in the right range.

Good luck!
~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

inverseroom

Hmm, well...I just powered up for the first time on a 9v battery, and only osc 1 is working, and then only when all the switches are in certain positions, which I've already forgotten!  And I am getting A LOT of static otherwise (I assume from the other two pots).  Maybe I should go ahead and put 50K pots there?

This is perhaps not a good project for someone who doesn't understand what the hell he's doing...

moosapotamus

:lol:
... just kidding. Actually, that's how I built mine, one osc at a time. :wink:

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

2222s aren't guaranteed to oscillate at 9V. Hell, they aren't guaranteed to oscillate at ANY voltage! but, looking at past posts & elsewhere, 9 is pretty low.
I'd try swapping one of the other 2222s into the working oscillator, that will show whether the threshold on the other one is above 9. And if I was committed to running off batteries, I'd think TWO 9v batteries (or, one and a doubler).

Prive

I have mine working at 9V but the pots are most touchy.
With 12 volts this thing really works!!!! Lots of noises imposible to achieve with 9.

Thanks Charlie!!!!!!!!!!!

Saludos, Marcelo.
Fuzz boxes don't need on/off switch!!!!!!!!

inverseroom

I just got some power jacks in from Mouser, so I'll try sending it 12v over the weekend...or two 9v's if that doesn't work!

I think the static was from my poorly grounded Ruby Amp, BTW, not my mistakes in executing Charlie's design.

Or, for that matter, Charlie's mistakes in Charlie's design.  :lol:

moosapotamus

moosapotamus.net