There's dust on my guitar.....

Started by Toney, March 10, 2005, 09:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toney

This effects building's kinda addictive.
I've been so into it recently. Spent so much time reading and getting my head around electronics and soldering and hunting down parts , that I 've completely neglected actually playing.
The reason WHY I actually want these devices has been totally usurped by the learning about and making of them.
Been dreaming and obsessing about components/layouts the validity of this component over that one.....which diameter and grade of solder........what enclosure.....how to tackle the graphics  etc,etc,etc

Its all about getting my hands on tones that satisfy.

Might have do some self enforced discipline and see if I can still play!!!

Have others found this????

inverseroom

Yep.  I've been building stuff lately like the 4ms Atoner, a phototheremin, the Tri-Negistor (in progress), the Triwave Picogenerator (parts ordered), that make sounds by themselves, without any guitar at all.

My axes aren't worried, I don't think.  I always return to 'em.

NaBo

quite the contrary!  sure, i build a lot... but i play more guitar this year while testing and trying out circuits than i did last year.  But then again, I then to cut into "school" time more than "guitar" time  8)

onboard

Absolutely, for all sorts of reasons. Partly because getting introduced to electronics had all the thrill that first learning to play did. Something new! Something to get excited about and really *want* to learn! The new-ness has become discipline in order to try to dig in and understand. Now, to relax from...

"Oh man, that was silent before and it's popping like mad now!"
"I knew I should've layed that out *before* I started soldering!"
"Pin voltages...must...get...pin...voltages..."
"The lacquer ate my graphics!!!!!"

...I'm actually starting to play music again. Imagine that! The whole reason I started doing this in the first place :roll:
-Ryan
"Bound to cover just a little more ground..."

Paul Marossy

For about 4-5 months now, I have been focusing mostly on playing guitar and not building stuff. Sure, I still build a little something here and there, but I am concentrating on becoming a better guitar player and gaining back lost ground from the frenzy of the last three years.  :shock:

ryanscissorhands

Totally agree. But I think that it's a good thing. If you see DIYing just as a means to an end (better/different tone), then it's really not for you. Buy them. But if you enjoy the process, and enjoy the building, then DIYing is not just an ACCESSORY to guitar playing, it's a totally separate hobby (which happens to be related). If you started building cars, you wouldn't be so shocked that you had less practice time. Yes, I see the irony of building guitar effects at the expense of playing guitar, but just enjoy that you enjoy it.

GreenEye

After I quit my band, I put down the axe for awhile.  I just didn't want to play by myself in a little room after that.  :(

Then, I discovered old tube PA amps modded for guitar and DIY pedals.  I then had a reason to play.   :D  I had new tones to discover, new ways of playing to match the tones.  I could still do guitar stuff, but in a different way than going through scales for three hours.  Five years ago, I would have laughed at the thought of using a simple booster pedal or treble booster.  But I started with the Rangemaster, and thus the journey begun.

I try to take some time after each pedal to really get to know it - trying all different settings, pickups, amps.  I don't just build one then move immediately on to the next one.  Not only does it take me a long time to build one (I really have to get psyched up for a new build and set aside a lot of time), but I actually do like to savor the one I just made - by playing a lot of guitar!

al3151

Its so sad when your guitar becomes merely an oversized tone injector. :lol:

Paul Marossy

As an addendum to what I said earlier, I was also kind of stuck in a rut musically, so building stuff was a good way to still be creative even if it wasn't writing tunes.  :wink:

And, I sure have learned a lot and realize that I have so much more to learn!

pbrommer

QuoteAs an addendum to what I said earlier, I was also kind of stuck in a rut musically, so building stuff was a good way to still be creative even if it wasn't writing tunes.

I will second this. I have notice, whilst learning while building, that building also opens avenues to creativity. This is a big reason I build - it opens my creative door, because otherwise, my creativity lags in sterility.

Patrick
  • SUPPORTER

rubberlips

yeah I found that - that's partly why I went away for quite a while. Been jamming more regularly and my playing and rhythm has increased tremendously. I even stopped playing with pedals for a long time to figure out the way I play and tone I like. Now I'm back into it. The rest gave me a fresh look on everything.

Yes you might spend more time on building effects, but if you enjoy it - it's only one of the many hobbies that keep us amused in life.

Pete
play it hard, play it LOUD!