Morley Bad Horsie 2 Mods?

Started by jbm222, March 10, 2005, 10:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbm222

I have a bad horsie 2 that i bought because being springload & switchless really appealed to me at the time.  I'm really sick of it's tone though.  I was wandering if anyone has ever modded one to try to make it sound more like a Vox.  I have the schematic from Morley's site, but i don't really know where to start.  

Also, I want to change the functionality of the stomp switch for the mode and make it a true bypass switch, because this thing hisses even when it's "off".  I never use the contour mode, but I might put in a dpdt toggle too so I can still change modes if i ever did want to.  That's a pretty straight forward mod i think i can figure out myself.  But I'm clueless where to start with the tone.

SnooP_Wiggles

the wah shouldn't hiss in bypass, maybe yours is faulty somehow. true bypass really won't work on these unless you do it by CMOS ICs or something

jbm222

Why wouldn't it work?  I know I can't wire up a true bypass that's controlled by the LED switching thing (what normally switches it on and off).  But I can wire a switch to where it completely cuts the circuit out of my effects chain on songs where i'm not using it.  It would be just like an external true bypass box/effects loop, only inside the pedal.

If I can't but if i can't find info on how to mod the tone, i don't want to do that.  I'll just sell it.  And there is definately some noise even when it's off.  It's quiet, but enough to get annoying when there's effects after it, especially any moderate to heavy gain distortions.  The amount of noise is somewhat dependent on the quality of the power supply, but it's there even with a brand new 9v battery.  No buffered switching is as silent as a true bypass.

jayp5150

Do a search, Ansil has a bunch of information in old posts (especially if you're not touching the contour circuit).

Basically, to make this a TB, you almost have to rebuild it from scratch, because you have to get rid of the buffer stuff, etc.  Somewhere in one of Ansil's posts there will be a link to his BH mods on his site.

I just did a bunch of work to mine, and I love it now.  Good luck, have fun.

Oh, mine doesn't hiss, either (and it doesn't seem to noticably affect the tone).

Also, you can send an e-mail to Morley, they are really helpful, and if it is defective, they'd probably fix it for you.