Anyone try a wah without the pedal part?

Started by lethargytartare, March 11, 2005, 10:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lethargytartare

My guitarist has a QZone and a Crybaby, and wants me to make him a Crybaby that, instead of being a wah with a rocker, is just in a regular stomp box with a normal dial/pot in place of the wah pot.  Anyone tried anything like this?  I think I saw a discussion of replacing the wah pot with a rigged up standard pot but can't find the thread -- if I just yank the board from a crybaby, and replace the stock pot with a standard alpha of the same value, should that work ok?

Thanks for any input/comments!

ltt

R.G.

That will work just dandy. This is exactly the same as having a wah rocker adjusted so the rocker will stay still where you put it.

Jimi, among others used to do this for certain tones.

It's equivalent to a single-band parametric EQ, although not as versatile. Still good sound if used right.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

lethargytartare

RickL

I've done it a number of times, mostly because I can't afford to buy way shells to mount circuits that I've built. What you're suggesting should work just fine.

You may want to mount the pot on the side of the enclose and use a fairly large knob. That way the pot can easily be moved with your foot to change the settings and can even be operated as a regular wah, although it's a little awkward.

Aharon

Satriani uses a wha that way regularly.
Some guitars came with an inductor on the tone pot,it adds "resonance" just like a wha.

Aharon
Aharon