Midwest Analog Sale on Whisper Compressor and other things

Started by DiyFreaque, March 13, 2005, 02:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

Peter,

It's been too long.  I'm over at Asticou these days but we should get together some time.

Peter Snow

Bonjour Mark,

Comment ça va? I've just finished a long arduous contract but I am happily unemployed again now. I'll PM you soon.

Scott,

Thanks for the info on Midwest.  I do hope Tom stays in the business in some form or another.  I have bought all his excellent books, some kits, parts and bare PCB's from him over the years and I would be really sorry to see him go.  If he does give up the business he'll have more spare time, so perhaps you could persuade him to join the forum and give us the benefit of his considerable expertise?? :lol:  :wink:  :D

Cheers,

Peter
Remember - A closed mouth gathers no foot.

KORGULL

QuoteHe mentioned some chip related books he's working on, so it was a confusing mix of messages. He's bummed that the chips he likes to write about are dropping out of production (CA3080, CA3046 at least in DIP form). I can see where that would be discouraging. I urged him to go ahead with those, pointing out that some BBD's, even though produced in much smaller numbers, are still accessible to this day, so the books themselves would still be useful for a long time to come. I'm hoping he continues with the book of designs that I've seen - pretty good stuff in them.
I was really looking forward to digging into the CA3080 and noise generator books but...payment was returned - sold out :(
He should at least print some more copies of the books that already exist - seems like the demand is there. I can't seem to find any electronics books comparable to those described on his site. I'd rather buy a good book than spend time scouring the internet for odd bits here and there to print out and stuff in a folder.

DiyFreaque

QuoteHe should at least print some more copies of the books that already exist - seems like the demand is there. I can't seem to find any electronics books comparable to those described on his site. I'd rather buy a good book than spend time scouring the internet for odd bits here and there to print out and stuff in a folder.

Tell me about it!  I've mentioned it to him a few times (and I intend to keep mentioning it).  I fooled around and missed out on his compandor book, and that's been out of print for a while.  I've asked him about that, but I don't think he's really said anything about it.

QuoteIf he does give up the business he'll have more spare time, so perhaps you could persuade him to join the forum and give us the benefit of his considerable expertise??    

That would be cool.  For me, he is one of the primordial influences.  It was his book "Build a Better Music Synthesizer" that first turned me on to the idea that I could build that modular synth I'd always wanted since I was in the third grade (truth).  To have him as a forum member would be a treat, indeed.  His knowledge is only matched by his skill at explaining things in a way that makes fairly difficult topics nearly impossible not to understand.

His style of writing has an enthusiasm that to me is always infectious, and every once in a while there is a sly twist of humor one doesn't expect (where else would you read of a certain transistor being described as 'punk' and therefore a good choice for a noise transistor).  'Build a Better Music Synthesizer' even touches on the benefits of visualization the night before a panel build.

Perhaps there's financial reasons behind the subject of reissues; I'd sure like to see it happen.

Cheers,
Scott

DiyFreaque

Sadly, 12 Midnight tonight Minnesota time (which I think is within a couple of hours of this posting), Midwest Analog will indeed shuffle off into history.   :cry:

The SDIY List thought it was an April Fool's joke, but it's not.  I posted this to the SDIY List, thought I'd share it here as well:

QuoteSorry, no joke.  April is also tax time, if that means anything.....

If it is a joke, I'd gladly be the brunt of it.

Just had a talk with him - he's just plain burnt out, I think.  The teaching
position is hugely time-consuming, and filling orders/answering emails just
kinda got to be too much.

I asked him about future publications, and he mentioned he'll probably do
some magazine articles then take things from there.  He's planning a trip to
the lower midwest, and I know that'll clear his noggin.  Hopefully then
he'll feel like publishing again.  He talked about some other possible
alternatives, but probably nothing I should really talk about until he has
time to think it through.

Take care,
Scott

rubrsol97

Hi...I've read this thread and wondered if the Whisper Compressor kit is still available and if not...does any one have a schematic ans parts list?

Thanks...