EAGLE PCB layout editor

Started by ESPguitar, March 14, 2005, 04:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ESPguitar

Hi,

I have to start use a computer made layouts for PCB's..

How the hell can i learn how to use this program!?!?

What do you use???

Thanks,

Robin

Thomas P.

I'm using it most of the time. It's not quite easy at the beginning but it doesn't take long to get to know it. A few tipps:

- don't use the auto-router simply because in most cases it isn't very helpful and you'll spend a lot of time getting to know how to make 'him' do what you want him to. (or to speak differently: you have to place the parts on the board anyway)

- use open/library/rcl.lbr to edit the necessary parts to your needs. For example the resistor type 0207 (and all other parts you're going to use) does have a small pad IMO. So use the change tool to edit the drill diameter and the pad diameter to bigger sizes for the parts you going to use the most. (It is also possible to create new parts but I guess this wasn't your question)

- For connections I'm using the wirepad lbr. 2.54/0.8 will do.

- Now take some easy schematic and try to lay it out. Unfortunately there is no easier way in doing this than the 'trail and error' method if you don't have any experience. But other layouts are alway a good inspiration.

- Save yourself a lot of time and don't start drawing a schematic!!! Go directly to the board mode and start from there.

If I forgot something necessary then let me know.

Regards,
tomboy
god said...
∇ ⋅ D = ρ
∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t
∇ ⋅ B = 0
∇ x H = ∂D/∂t + j
...and then there was light

d95err

I've done some minor work with EAGLE and I've been using both the schematic and PCB tools. I find the autorouter quite useful. Perhaps not to do the whole layout, but you can use it to come up with ideas for routing that you wouldn't have though of otherwise. I usually start out by autorouting just to get a general feel about what is possible. Then I rip it up, move a few components and draw some manual routes, then run the autorouter again etc.

A question for more experienced EAGLE users though:

How do you use the ground symbols available in the list of components? I can put it in the schematic, but in the PCB it simply disappears. I have to use a wirepad in the schematic and draw all ground connections to it. This makes the schematic ugly and hard to read.

ESPguitar

Well,

thanks.. I'll give it a try :D

RB

Thomas P.

If I remember correctly all parts attached to GND should be conneted in the board mode and that's just what you want. To get a specific point to connect  the trace to then you have to use a wirepad. But therefor it's enough to connect a wirepad to a GND-symbol in the schematic.
god said...
∇ ⋅ D = ρ
∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t
∇ ⋅ B = 0
∇ x H = ∂D/∂t + j
...and then there was light

j0shua

Hi

All programs have HELP ( F1) you can read about :D

Joshua use:  ExpressPCB and Pcb Wizard

Gilles C

And you can use Google to find tutorials about it

Here are a few that I found by typing "tutorial Eagle pcb" in Google

http://myhome.spu.edu/bolding/EE4211/EagleTutorial4.htm

http://vulcan.ece.ucsb.edu/ece189/tutorials.html

http://www.physics.utoronto.ca/~astummer/mirror/Projects/Util/Eagle/Eagle_CadSoft.html

There are also layouts that people made over time and you can look at.

Begin with a part of your schematic as a building block, and work on the pcb layout from that block. Then add a second part of the same schematic, and try to work with the pcb layout as if it was a second block.

After a while, you will be able to think in terms of blocks with inputs and outputs that you will be able to re-use.

It is also easier to learn how to use Eagle by starting with a small scematic/pcb

ESPguitar

Thanks,

Now i guess i have to read a bit then test by myself:P

Maybe i can make some layouts in a couple of months :D

RB

d95err

Finally found out how to connect supply and ground to various ICs. I couldn't figure it out before. Sometimes it worked by magic, sometimes it didn't.

If you connect a wirepad to a "VCC" symbol, then it will be automatically connected to IC's with a VCC pin. However, some ICs (e.g a 4558 opamp) doesn't have a VCC pin. In this case you can use the "Invoke" tool (icon looks like 4 small gates) to show hidden pins on the schematic.

(I found this in one of the tutorials listed above. Thanks!)

ESPguitar

Quote from: d95errFinally found out how to connect supply and ground to various ICs. I couldn't figure it out before. Sometimes it worked by magic, sometimes it didn't.

If you connect a wirepad to a "VCC" symbol, then it will be automatically connected to IC's with a VCC pin. However, some ICs (e.g a 4558 opamp) doesn't have a VCC pin. In this case you can use the "Invoke" tool (icon looks like 4 small gates) to show hidden pins on the schematic.

(I found this in one of the tutorials listed above. Thanks!)

Genius :D

I should read the tutorials but you know-TIME-..

:wink:

RB

gaussmarkov

Quote from: d95errA question for more experienced EAGLE users though:

How do you use the ground symbols available in the list of components? I can put it in the schematic, but in the PCB it simply disappears. I have to use a wirepad in the schematic and draw all ground connections to it. This makes the schematic ugly and hard to read.
There is a method to make this work like all "devices" in Eagle.  Here is a brief example.  First open the supply2.lbr library and create (by pushing the "package" button below the menus) a new package called "GND" that contains only the pad that you want and name the pad "G$1".  Save it.  Second, open the GND1 device (by pushing the "device" button under the menus) that comes in supply2.lbr and under the "package" list (which is empty) press the "NEW" button.  The package you just made is in the list and you should choose it.  This package will appear in the package list with an exclamation point next to it.  Click on the package and press the "CONNECT" button.  In the dialog that opens press the new "CONNECT" button.  The exclamation point will disappear.  Save the result.

Now the GND1 device in supply2.lbr will have a pad associated with it in the pcb layout.

My description is admittedly brief.  I learned how to do this from this url:
http://www.interq.or.jp/japan/se-inoue/e_eagle20.htm#1  
Follow the whole thing through and you will be able to understand the last entry under "Library making technique" which is "Ground symbol (with terminal)," the very thing you asked about.  Note, the writer is Japanese and uses phrases like "It pushes the symbol button" which means "Push the symbol button" (or "One pushes the symbol button").

If you get stuck, please ask for more help!

gaussmarkov

I just tried my suggestion and have one more comment.  Note that you will only need as many of these ground devices in a schematic as you want pads.  Use the other GND devices in your schematics in the usual way.  Also, the ground device with the pad will hook up like other devices to a specific net (so you might have to move it around on the schematic during pcb layout).