Quiet Flanger?

Started by Connoisseur of Distortion, March 14, 2005, 01:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Connoisseur of Distortion

After my success with the zombie chorus, i have decided to make a flanger. What flanger, i have no idea. I want it to make very little to no sweep noise (you know, the grating keeeeeooooowwwww that they make with heavy distortion), have plenty of knobs to mess around with, and a good sweep range. Any suggestions?

(actually, i'd give up knobs and range if they thing doesn't make any noise!  :oops: )

Mark Hammer

If you go to about page 9 or so of my website (hammer.ampage.org), there are a number of Craig Anderton design flangers posted.  The one in DEVICE (issue 9 and 10) is apparently quite quiet.  It uses a 570 compander chip.

Flangers generally tend to be a bit quieter than chorusses because the clock speed/frequency is generally higher and often ell outside the audio range. On the other hand, any time you insert regeneration into a device, even small amounts of noise can be multiplied.  The design in DEVICE takes the recirculation feed from after the expansion stage of the compander, making it a very quiet regen.  Note that the project is spread over 2 issues, with corrections in the second issue.

StephenGiles

Mark, the AMS100 is very quiet. Didn't it use RC4739s?
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

alright. thanks for the suggestion! where could i find a 570? also, has anyone made a PCB of this thing? i have a knack for bad layouts...  :roll:

Mark Hammer

Quote from: StephenGilesMark, the AMS100 is very quiet. Didn't it use RC4739s?
Stephen

Yes it did, but only because these represented best audio quality for the dollar in 1979.  I think we've moved on from there in the succeeding 26 years, both in terms of quality and in terms of what is obtainable at low cost.

StephenGiles

That means the AMS Flanger PCB needs to be updated for standard 8pin dual opamps, unless it has already been done.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Mark Hammer

Hell, I didn't even know someone had made a layout.  Is this true?

where could this layout be found...?  :D