truly insane distortion

Started by panasonic_youth, March 14, 2005, 07:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panasonic_youth

alright, so ive built the punch in the face, and to be fair, it is disgusting and gutwrenchingly brutal, BUT not brutal enough.  I want a DISTORTION, not a fuzz, that will take the signal and rip it to shreds. fuzz's to me have always seemed to almost just add a layer to the sound. its hard to describe, almost like a filter, not really a deep, complex change.  what i want now is a DISTORTION pedal that will grab the sound and butcher it, in a good way. in short: the most brutal distotion you can think of. i was thinking the dr.boogey, modded for the red channel's settings.  idk,  im not talking MT-2, or warp factor, i want to go beyond that.  i want to still be able to know its music,  i want it clear, but i want the signal DESTROYED.

inverseroom

I am in love with my 4ms Atoner.  It oscillates and has an LFO.  It churns out some truly gorgeous noise.

http://commonsound.com/atoner.html

j0shua

panasonic_youth

yea josh, i saw your pedal, not exactly "insane" though.  insane would be bone crushingly raw, in the words of jack black: make my face melt.

j0shua

did you build ???

remember you can change the sound , just replace the ceramic cap from IC pin 5 to high  value  and you get more smash sound

octafish

Okay sounds like you want a walk-stortion.
Get yourself a cheap 3V walkman (thrift store), get it open, remove the motor(should save some battery life). There should be a cludgy switch that consists of two copper elements that touch together when the play button is pressed, add a proper switch to that (on/off not bypass).
Somehow wire a volume pot out of the headphone jack (I wired both l+r together and then attatched the ground lug to the negative battery lead).
Remove the play head and incorporate the remaining wires into input/bypass. (again I just joined both l+r together)
Maybe add a pregain pot ala Easy Face.
You should run this at the original 3v for minimum headroom.
Nasty, nasty, nasty. I picked this idea up from a circuit bending website that had a sample mp3. Sorry but I can't seem to find it now.
You could probably pretty this up a fair bit. With a 3pdt you could probably switch the circuit on-off at the same time you bypass. Also you could hardwire the switcheroo and (maybe) do the stereo socket power switching thing.
Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. -Last words of Breaker Morant

casey

Quote from: octafishOkay sounds like you want a walk-stortion.
Get yourself a cheap 3V walkman (thrift store), get it open, remove the motor(should save some battery life). There should be a cludgy switch that consists of two copper elements that touch together when the play button is pressed, add a proper switch to that (on/off not bypass).
Somehow wire a volume pot out of the headphone jack (I wired both l+r together and then attatched the ground lug to the negative battery lead).
Remove the play head and incorporate the remaining wires into input/bypass. (again I just joined both l+r together)
Maybe add a pregain pot ala Easy Face.
You should run this at the original 3v for minimum headroom.
Nasty, nasty, nasty. I picked this idea up from a circuit bending website that had a sample mp3. Sorry but I can't seem to find it now.
You could probably pretty this up a fair bit. With a 3pdt you could probably switch the circuit on-off at the same time you bypass. Also you could hardwire the switcheroo and (maybe) do the stereo socket power switching thing.

this sounds super cool.....could you draw it up, or explain it a little better......  output goes from where?.....input is where?
Casey Campbell

petemoore

There's a "Tychobrahe Fuzz' Vero thread...might want to check that out...some of these 'octaves minus octave' "Fuzzes" provide truly nasty Fuzz / Distortion.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Mark Hammer

My sense is that you want something predictably unpredictable.  For that, I would suggest something like an octave-down fuzz with very bad tracking.

lethargytartare

panasonic_youth

ugh, i dont want to get sued or anything. hah, i like the looks of that atuner thing, and i think i'll order parts for that, the dr.boogey, and the insane distortion pedal, i think i'll find something that i want in those.  thanks, and yea, a recomendation for a good octave down distortion would be nice.  the thing is, i want this to have a metal sound, but more brutal.

panasonic_youth

woa, just rang it up and its $40 just for the PARTS for the atoner. cross that one off for now. i guess the dr.boogey will come next.....

RDV

One Word:

SUPERFUZZ

RDV

octafish

I wish I could find a link that explained what I was rambling about but I guess I'll just try and break it down ito simple steps.
One- Remove the motor.This gets rid of bulk and eases the drain on batteries

Two- Input. You want to replace the tape head with an input jack, so cut off the tape head and strip the ends of the wires that attach to it. Then it is just a matter of testing which wires are left, right, and ground. I just plessed play, turned the volume down and plugged in my headphones. Then I used jumpers attached to a sound source (my guitar) and touched the ends of the tape head wire untill signal came through.

Three- Output. Its hard to incorporate the walkman volume control into a pedal so I just thought of it as internal trim and added a 100k vol pot like any other pedal. In my version I removed the walkman output jack and soldered the 100k pot to output+, ground, either the output jack ground or the battery negative will do leaving the wiper going to our output jack. (I combined l+r together, but you could make a stereo effect)

Four- Power switching. The cheap walkmans, (walkmen?) I have used have all had a basic touch switch to turn on the power whenever play, or fast forward are pressed. (The really cheap ones have no reverse) On mine I turned this into a power switch by adding a micro toggle switch.

Five- Wrapping. You should be able to add bypass once you know where the signal in is going and where the signal out is coming from. I supplied power to mine by using a standard 9v battery clip attached to the positive and negative conacts on the walkman power board. The 9v clip then clipped to a plastic double AA battery holder.(I got this at DSE/Radioshack before I knew better) Although I did not do it you should also be able to use a stereo jack to turn the effect if you add the extra wiring of the 9v clip. Oh yeah maybe you should put it in a box. Before you do that make sure you listen to it first. You could then get fancy and add a pre-gain pot or a tone stack or stuff to it.

My findings- This is an absolute tone destroyer, there is nothing nice about this. Your guitar signal will overdrive all the nasty little SMDs in the walkman into a sonic frenzy clipping in a most disagreeable solid state way. Some people like this. You know, sickos. I like to feed this thing with drum machines for really nasty fuzz beats.
Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. -Last words of Breaker Morant

ninoman123

wow RDV that fuzz sounds terrible, lol. I think thats what  panasonic should make

octafish

Octave down, huh. I just built a Bluebox and while I love it I don't think its very metal or maybe thats me. Torchy has done a vero layout of the Shocktave so that could be a super easy build. Most people here would probably recommend the venerable Rocktave, but I have no experience of either of these two. I built an octave down for the weirdness, not so much for any heaviness, it seems pretty synthy the way I play. I think the "metalness" of some pedals comes from cutting the mids, just like the superfuzz. Look into the Big Muff Pi tonestack, and the aforementioned superfuzz notch setting, then you can add these scooped mids to any pedal you decide to build.

panasonic_youth

thats awesome RDV, ive never heard a clip of the superfuzz sound like that.     how could i add more beefiness to it?  id like that sound w/ more beef, less staticy sounding, you know? the notes seem to hiss out of that, id like the pedal w/ more of a growl than a hiss. a metal version of that, i guess. haha.

panasonic_youth

in essence, if the superfuzz is a unic, how can i give it some balls?

RDV

Quote from: panasonic_youthin essence, if the superfuzz is a unic, how can i give it some balls?
Play it through a Hiwatt stack like Pete Townshend at "Live @ Leeds" or Woodstock. My samples are direct.

RDV

RDV

There's two samples there by the way., one on Super, the other on fuzz.

RDV