truly insane distortion

Started by panasonic_youth, March 14, 2005, 07:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panasonic_youth

ohhhhh so a cab will add some beef, and if it didnt, how does the tychobrane get the octave down efffect? isnt it just through the use of the transformer?

octafish

tychobrae IIRC is an octave up. Of course I could be wrong. I have been known to be in the past.
Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. -Last words of Breaker Morant

panasonic_youth

i meant the octavia.  that would be cool if you could make a simple mod to the superfuzz to get octave down effects.

inverseroom

Man, you guys, I have given you THE ANSWER and you are just not rising to the bait.  4MS ATONER!!!!!  Go click that link and listen to the samples!!!  It is truly ludicrous, I promise you.  :D

sir_modulus

hmm...why has noone said the two pedals that come to my mind when someone says noise? (besides the atoner).

here:

http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/snippets.html

T.M.K.....like, listen to that soundclip....nuts!
Ugly face? Listen to that sound with the envelope filter!!!

just my 0.02F

Cheers,

Nish

Teufel

Quote from: octafishI wish I could find a link that explained what I was rambling about but I guess I'll just try and break it down ito simple steps.
One- Remove the motor.This gets rid of bulk and eases the drain on batteries

Two- Input. You want to replace the tape head with an input jack, so cut off the tape head and strip the ends of the wires that attach to it. Then it is just a matter of testing which wires are left, right, and ground. I just plessed play, turned the volume down and plugged in my headphones. Then I used jumpers attached to a sound source (my guitar) and touched the ends of the tape head wire untill signal came through.

Three- Output. Its hard to incorporate the walkman volume control into a pedal so I just thought of it as internal trim and added a 100k vol pot like any other pedal. In my version I removed the walkman output jack and soldered the 100k pot to output+, ground, either the output jack ground or the battery negative will do leaving the wiper going to our output jack. (I combined l+r together, but you could make a stereo effect)

Four- Power switching. The cheap walkmans, (walkmen?) I have used have all had a basic touch switch to turn on the power whenever play, or fast forward are pressed. (The really cheap ones have no reverse) On mine I turned this into a power switch by adding a micro toggle switch.

Five- Wrapping. You should be able to add bypass once you know where the signal in is going and where the signal out is coming from. I supplied power to mine by using a standard 9v battery clip attached to the positive and negative conacts on the walkman power board. The 9v clip then clipped to a plastic double AA battery holder.(I got this at DSE/Radioshack before I knew better) Although I did not do it you should also be able to use a stereo jack to turn the effect if you add the extra wiring of the 9v clip. Oh yeah maybe you should put it in a box. Before you do that make sure you listen to it first. You could then get fancy and add a pre-gain pot or a tone stack or stuff to it.

My findings- This is an absolute tone destroyer, there is nothing nice about this. Your guitar signal will overdrive all the nasty little SMDs in the walkman into a sonic frenzy clipping in a most disagreeable solid state way. Some people like this. You know, sickos. I like to feed this thing with drum machines for really nasty fuzz beats.

this has been gone over a few times in the archives :D
sorry i was back at school and with the holiday i haven't been able to check mail

bassmeister

You could try a setup that I did by mistake, if you have the gear. I had built a MOSFET Obsidian and I thought it had too much gain and too much treble. It turned out I had the output volume at max, which in turned pushed my cheap transistor amp into distortion. The sound was quite close to early Pantera (I say so because I've only heard early records), but a bit more cheesy. And that was with a Squier Strat  :o

Don't know though if that's what you're looking for.

panasonic_youth

thanks, that could be good.  I'd build the atoner, but its SO much money!  i dont know if anyone is getting what i meant, anyone but RDV and a few others.  i dont want a 'noise' metal distortion, i want the most crushing, disturbing, gross, over-the-top metal distortion.  the superfuzz sounds like it could work if i add some mods to it, and the uglyface isnt brutal, thats just crazy.  think "destructive"!

RDV

The uglyface is brutal through an amp cause it's so incredibly stinkin' loud. It will crush the front end of any amp.

RDV