Reviews of effects and builds?

Started by lethargytartare, March 15, 2005, 11:28:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lethargytartare

Would it be of any benefit to have a separate forum specifically for reviews of these effects and circuits?  A question I often have, and see often from others is "what's the best..." or "how does it sound"  When I see a list of cool new projects, usually all I can get in terms of descriptions is the same general set of descriptions that could apply to dozens of pedals.  I'd love to be able to scan the list of pedals and see commentary on what people think of the finished product.  And I'd love to see more polls on "best XXX type pedal"...sure they all have their charms, and everyone's preferences are subjective, but a few pedals invariably surface as being better -- more discussions like that would be fun to scan through (I love seeing discussions hash out the merits of different variations on a theme).

Does anyone think that would/would not be worthwhile?

Cheers!

ltt

dosmun

Sounds like a great idea.  It would save some search time.

cab42

If you scroll to the top of the page there is a link called review,

There you go  :wink:

Have fun

Carsten
  • SUPPORTER
"Rick, your work is almost disgusting, it's so beautiful.  Meaning: it's so darned pretty that when I look at my own stuff, it makes me want to puke my guts out."
Ripthorn

Mark Hammer

Though they come in other forms, generally when people submit something with the header "Build report", there is a kind of review enclosed.  Just as important, there is often useful information about component choices and their sonic implications.  To treat ANYTHING here as a finished product with any further changes prohibitted or unneeded is, to my mind, foolish and nearsighted.

Consequently, an archive of "reviews"?  Nah  An archive of build reports?  Indispensable.

petemoore

For anyone reading who hasn't clicked on the top of page links...do so now...keep clicking !!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

lethargytartare

Yeah, but have you read those posts?  A forum with a thread per pedal, in the system where posts can be quickly moved to the "Building..." forum when they're off topic...would be a marked improvement...

Quote from: cab42If you scroll to the top of the page there is a link called review,

There you go  :wink:

Have fun

Carsten

lethargytartare

It's all a matter of your perspective and how universal you think your perspective is.  Build reports are invaluable for builders, and this is a perfect place for them -- and people are really good about adding that phrase to the subjects of their posts.  But that's of no use to someone trying to evaluate projects as a means of trying to decide how to spend their time.   If I had never seen another person post questions of the type I described, I wouldn't have made the suggestion.

And as a designer, build reports are valuable, but don't you think it's valuable to hear what people think of the "final" output (feel free to call it nearsighted, but I'd wager at least as many of these projects are being built according to a layout and left alone, as are repeatedly rebuilt by more savvy diy'ers)?  Or does that make people feel like they're pandering?

And to echo a comment made elsewhere in this forum -- yet another post where someone responded, essentially, rtfm...really, at some point it's gotta be worth assuming people have put SOME thought into their questions and suggestions, rather than assuming everyone (other than your buddies) is clueless and unwilling to be bothered with doing their homework.  C'mon...It's certainly more efficient.

ltt

petemoore

'Build report' is the appropriate term IMO too.
 ...I see reviews...and read between the lines, and take into account all the missing [most of it is unaccountable] pertinant information...
 Then I figure there are so many 'other' things that influence what a persons OPINION is of something...
 Like which input on which amp through what speakers, driven by what pickup and with what amp settings...laborious tasks that I often disregard when submitting build reports.
 There are generally about a million 'thing's not included, and even if they were, other variables in playing style and even overlooked details like...for instance, I have a small cap on the volume controls of my guitar...this can make a FF or other effect work ALOT different...
 Stuff like noise can be pretty universal, yet widely varying also...but it's something that can be cumulatively compared...such as...the "WB is much less noisy than My BMP Clone"...as a random EX [don't know thats true or what].
 i like reading through Build Reports all the same...partially because I use tubeamps, and because I'm a snob too I guess, I tend to remember who's got an amp similar to mine, or badass in some way, and lend more credence to the reports...
 Also I pretty much know what Various fuzzes sound like...like dogs they are more similar than different...dogs all have two eyes, four legs...etc., Fuzzes all Fuzz and boost...the ones I like to read about anyway.
 I see reports that read like reviews, saw one recently, it also had content for those able to read between the lines about how the circuit being 'chastized' was misbiased...lol. It was more of a frustration rant than a build report though..not misleading in context...
 But...I suspect build reports do contain 'chastizing' content sometimes, when it's not set up 'right'.
 For the record, many of my early build report boxes have since been 'changed'.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.