condor cab sim low output volume

Started by mek, March 15, 2005, 11:42:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mek

hello, this my first post XD.

i buillt the condor cab sim using tl082 for the opamps and BF245C transistor.

the problem is i do get output signal, but is way too soft, the guitar alone into the mixer is much louder!!

i have checked solder points and it is all ok. that's why i'm assuming there's something wrong with the parts, but anyway i'm asking first as i do not have an easy access to an electronic shop

thanx in advance and sorry if my english is bad.

bye

stm

Mek,

You should try using an audio probe stage by stage to see where the volume drop is happening.

A good possibility of problem is in the first stage (Q1). Make sure the FET is wired properly (download datasheet and verify pin names). Drain of Q1 should have plenty of signal, like a boost, which should vary according to the Gain pot. Level at this point should be higher than the guitar alone at any position of the Gain pot.

Then check the output pin of each of the four opamps. Audio level should be similar between all stages, expect for the different tonality due to the tone shaping that takes place.

Good luck!

mek

Quote from: stm
You should try using an audio probe stage by stage to see where the volume drop is happening.

you mean pin that point and ground with the cables and monitoring that output don't u?

stm

Exactly!

That's a good way to follow the progress of a signal through a circuit to locate where it is getting distorted or attenuated or whatever.

B Tremblay

I should mention that the Condor doesn't have an overwhelming amount of output, even if you build it perfectly.  The FET is supplying most of the gain and the filters subtract a lot of signal.

I'm not familiar with the BF245 specs, but that may be responsible for the low volume  - if it's a lower gain part than the J201.

Unity volume (an educated guess - I didn't put a bypass switch in it) occurs around 2:00 or so.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com