Well.....That wasn't it.

Started by jmusser, March 15, 2005, 03:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmusser

I have been lookind for a thin fuzz, and was directed towards the Tim's LofoMofo LoFi Circuit. Since it was an easy circuit, I thought I'd throw one together. I give it a resounding YUCK!! I'd say that this circuit is probably doing exactly what it was designed to do, but it was not at all what I was expecting. There's not really any fuzz to it to speak of. It's more like playing through the cheapest garbage you could find at a yard sale and turning it up until it's about ready to blow. It has a lot of gain for a single transistor. I tried a couple different fixed resistors for the input pot, since I didn't have a 500K, and I ended up going with a 500K. I believe this circuit could take the best sounding equipment known to man and turn into what you'd hear coming out of a "Chatty Kathy" doll. If you're looking for a tone removal system for your guitar, this is definitely it!
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

RDV

The thinnest sounding fuzzz I have is my Guyatone "The Fuzz". It's naaaaasty!

RDV

puretube

off into the [REVIEW] forum...   :lol:

aron

What if you just switch the caps on the Bosstone (input and output) for a thin tone?

lethargytartare

Nice!!  See, it all starts to make sense :wink:

Quote from: puretubeoff into the [REVIEW] forum...   :lol:

lethargytartare

From what I've read, yup, that's exactly what it is supposed to do -- make you sound like you're playing through a cheap radio...someone here took that circuit and altered it into what he called the One Knob Fuzz:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=30519&highlight=one+knob+fuzz

I haven't finished my build of it yet, but if you have a lofomofo, you should be able to alter it pretty quickly to those specs and see what you get...

Quote from: jmusserI have been lookind for a thin fuzz, and was directed towards the Tim's LofoMofo LoFi Circuit. Since it was an easy circuit, I thought I'd throw one together. I give it a resounding YUCK!! I'd say that this circuit is probably doing exactly what it was designed to do, but it was not at all what I was expecting. There's not really any fuzz to it to speak of. It's more like playing through the cheapest garbage you could find at a yard sale and turning it up until it's about ready to blow. It has a lot of gain for a single transistor. I tried a couple different fixed resistors for the input pot, since I didn't have a 500K, and I ended up going with a 500K. I believe this circuit could take the best sounding equipment known to man and turn into what you'd hear coming out of a "Chatty Kathy" doll. If you're looking for a tone removal system for your guitar, this is definitely it!

jmusser

I tried substituting caps in the input and output. It definitely thinned out the tone, but took biggest part of the gain away. When you went from the .1, and switched to something quite a bit smaller then the original .02s, I would have to turn the amp volume all the way up to be able to hear it.  Lethargytartare, thanks for the link to the One knob. That should be something that I;ll use. I'll never use the LofoMofo as is, that's for sure.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

bwanasonic

Quote from: jmusserI believe this circuit could take the best sounding equipment known to man and turn into what you'd hear coming out of a "Chatty Kathy" doll.

See, now that sounds really cool to me. I never had any plan to build a LoMofo until I read that.  8)  You might just try an EQ after the fuzz of your choice. It would be more versatile than a fuzz that only did *thin*. Fuzz into a wah (or vice versa), with the pedal *%^&*ed* at a suitably thin sound would be another approach.

Kerry M

Dragonfly

try building a Bosstone with Joe Gagans "blend" knob on the front end...that way you can dial in how "thin" you want it !

petemoore

I just  finished up boxing a JB = BossTone.
 I put the shebang on a RACO top.
 I was about to say, and now second Aron's suggestion about the JB. It has very complex sounding and strong high end clipping content, high input impedance, should make as good as any thinned out yet strong sounding Fuzz, in fact I tried smaller input cap, and it did a 'big' thin'.
 Any of the caps on the board can be made smaller for less bass or more treble.
 The second cap, not the input cap, an .022uf just inside the circuit is the treble rolloff cap.
  Maybe switch the input caps or just socket, and add a treble rolloff knob...uh...find the place to put it in the the signal path...just hook a pot/cap to ground [check simple mods and tips, or AMZ lab notebook].
 YJM308 is also quite thin sounding IMO as shown, I upped the cap values a touch on mine. BMP can get thin, not as 'fierce' as Mr. J. Bosstone.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

bwanasonic

Seems like you may need to define *thin*. Some seem to take it as *not much fuzz* , while I interpret it as *fuzz with the bass rolled off*.

Kerry M

Dragonfly

Quote from: bwanasonicSeems like you may need to define *thin*. Some seem to take it as *not much fuzz* , while I interpret it as *fuzz with the bass rolled off*.

Kerry M

...that would be my interpretation as well....

jmusser

Thanks guys! That may have been my problem, is that I hadn't put the cap where it should have gone up front, and it was just like I turned the volume off. As you say, this has a way huge output, and should be a prime candidate for thinning. It DID thin, but 80% of the volume went with it the way I modded it. I just got my shipment from Mouser with the 4070 X OR chips, and I'm dieing to make Tim's "Digital Octaver Fuzz". It's supposed to have a mosquito-like octave up fuzz. If it does give me a very high pitched tone, then I'm going to try to add it to his Octup Blender, and see if I can get one of the tones I've looking for. The "thin" tone I'm talking about is one we've discussed some before. "Heart Full of Soul", "Revolution", and "Incense and Peppermints" type thing. RDV was saying "The Fuzz" was thin, but with that one, the octave up feature causes too much of that intermodulated distortion, and anything chord like gets totally wrecked. Plus, it's got the octave up tone to it, and not a thinned standard fuzz tone. I believe Mark Hammer was saying that a lot of that tone came from probably using Vox tube amps with an original Ge Tone Bender. If you add a Rickenbacker in there too, it would probably be easy to thin out the tone. Bwanasonic says the LofoMofo sounds cool to him. Good! It does what Tim says it will do, but it's not my cup of tea at all. We all have different tastes. The tone I hate to the point of almost being angry when I hear it, is Country twang tone! Rap would be the only other thing that effects me the same way. It has nothing to do with the expertise of the player, it's just that tone. There are some absolutely awesome Nashville guitar players that would outdo a lot of Rock players, but that compressed, raw, twang gives me the dry heaves!