News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

BOSS ROD10

Started by G Kresge, March 16, 2005, 02:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G Kresge

Anyone have any info on the Boss ROD10 (half-rack space o/d distortion)? Maybe a schematic or some info regarding it's similarities to Boss pedals such as OD1, DS1, etc?

MartyMart

Looked it up in two books and found no real details....so...
phoned a friend who used to have one, he reckons it was a DS-1 and an SD-1 in a box, with a bit of extra flexabillity.
He said it was a bit "noisey" though !!
Thats the best I can do..
Cheers,
Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

G Kresge

Thanks Marty.

From the selections I could find listed, it seems like it should be like the OD1, OD2, SD1 and DS1 in one box. I'm wondering how it rates in sound compared to those boxes. Seems like it could be a bit too much to hope for, but I thought I'd see if anyone had any experience with it and/or comparisons.

pioneer_56

I have one, if I knew how to post pics I would do it. The schematic is right on the top of the box. I also have the manual to it.

Andrew

mojotron

Quote from: pioneer_56I have one, if I knew how to post pics I would do it. The schematic is right on the top of the box. I also have the manual to it.

Andrew

I'm looking at mine, a block diagram is on the top of the unit - not a schematic..

These are great units, the EQ is increadable... I'm looking for a schematic, Called BOSS and it was too old to get one.. So, I've started to reverse engineer it, but it is pretty complex on the inside and I don't see any clipping diodes.. all that drive comes from a bunch of transistors...

Like all BOSS stuff - it's really well designed.

I am looking for a schematic if someone has one....

G Kresge

Any thoughts on how the selections available compare (audibly) to their stompbox counterparts?

mojotron

Quote from: G KresgeAny thoughts on how the selections available compare (audibly) to their stompbox counterparts?

It's interesting, with the EQ, there is a lot more range on the ROD10 than on a stompbox. The distortion setting has a Sonic Distortion or DS1 like sound, but I only have a DS1 that I have made myself to compare it to and I used high quality caps. One of the issues with the ROD10 is that it uses a lot of ceramic caps... so if does not have that transparent sound that you can get by making your own stuff. The overdrive settings are the settings that I use - the overdrive sound is a lot like an original TS9.

But, the ROD10 sound in any setting sounds static and lifeless compared with a good Tube Screamer or BSIAB2 build, even my home made Sonic Distortion sounds better. But, it does sound better than any of the stomp boxes I had played with back in the '90s and the range of this thing is mind-blowing, the remote switch is also great.

That's why I was looking for a schematic, because I would like to check out the EQ circuit and remote switching - plus, I think if I replaced the caps with better ones it may sound much much better..

G Kresge

Thanks for the info on that. As I read about the cermics, I thought "What about replacing them with metal film caps", but you answered that in your post. I'm curious about how the OD1 setting stacks up against the various versions of the OD1 pedals too, but so far it sounds quite interesting. Thanks again. Please let me know if you have any other comparisons that may be helpful.

pioneer_56

I should have been more clear, it is a circuit diagram not a schematic. But it is a very interesting unit, not a pedal though.

Andrew