The Crash Sync owns all.

Started by Connoisseur of Distortion, March 16, 2005, 02:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Connoisseur of Distortion

this thing is awesome!! wicked distortion, strange pseudo-flanging/pseudo-phasing, unpredictable sweeps, and alot more! My question is a simple one: i want it to be quiet when i'm not playing it, what do i do???

if you have not tried it, throw one together on your breadboard! it's very simple... and definatly worth the 2 invested semiconductors!  :D

and/or, is there any way to put more pots on this thing?? i don't know much/anything at all about 555 timers, but such a destructive pedal deserves a third (or fourth  :) ) doohickey

amz-fx

Quote from: Connoisseur of Distortionthis thing is awesome!! wicked distortion, strange pseudo-flanging/pseudo-phasing, unpredictable sweeps, and alot more! My question is a simple one: i want it to be quiet when i'm not playing it, what do i do???
The best way to make it quiet when it is bypassed is to disable the oscillator.  Pin 4 of the 555 is the reset and if you pull it low, the oscillator stops.

This is easy to do with your 3PDT switch.  Let's say you are using the third set of switch lugs to control the LED.   Connect the center lug to ground.  The top lug goes to the LED and the bottom lug goes to pin 4 of the 555.

When the switch is up, the LED is on and the 555 is free to run. When it is down, the LED is off and the 555 is disabled.

regards, Jack

RDV

Mine is quiet. I must have done something wrong.

RDV

amz-fx

Quote from: RDVMine is quiet. I must have done something wrong.
That's a big square wave coming out of the 555 so if the layout is not optimized there will be bleed into the output. You must have done it right!

Here's an idea...  try this indicator circuit:

It only lights up when you are playing.  You could use a bicolor LED and select one half (say the red) to be on all the time.  Use the other half (green) as the playing indicator shown here.  What you will get is a red light when the box is on and it will switch to yellow when you play.

regards, Jack

moosapotamus

Quote from: Connoisseur of Distortion...is there any way to put more pots on this thing??
Uh huh...
http://www.moosapotamus.com/autocrash/autocrash.htm  8)

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

RDV

Quote from: moosapotamus
Quote from: Connoisseur of Distortion...is there any way to put more pots on this thing??
Uh huh...
http://www.moosapotamus.com/autocrash/autocrash.htm  8)

~ Charlie
I'd like to add an envelope control to mine also. Is it different than the one Tim uses now?

TIA!

RDV

yes, could someone post the old envelope control, the one that had NPN trannies?

does anyone have it... or remember what it was like?

moosapotamus

Something like this...

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

FROM cv source? isn't this thing supposed to BE the cv source?? and what about this optoisolater?

moosapotamus

Well, maybe it's semantics or my lack of understanding, or I just labeled it wrong. I don't know. But, I don't think this thing produces a control voltage (CV). I think it converts a CV (that, in the application being discussed here is generated from the input signal) to a variable resistance via the optoisolator/optocoupler, yes/no? So, what about the opto?

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

i see now. i thought that this envelope generator was going to be a cv for the sweep of the oscillator. where, then, should i put the LDR?

(btw, thatnks for guiding me through this!  :D )

moosapotamus

Quote from: Connoisseur of Distortion...where, then, should i put the LDR?
Well, I wrote what I did on my web page...
QuoteThe LDR leads from the envelope control board went across the lugs of the Crash Sync's frequency pot.

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

Quote from: moosapotamus
Quote from: Connoisseur of Distortion...where, then, should i put the LDR?
Well, I wrote what I did on my web page...
QuoteThe LDR leads from the envelope control board went across the lugs of the Crash Sync's frequency pot.

~ Charlie

i am what you would call observant.