Torchy's MXR ZW44

Started by col, March 16, 2005, 03:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G Kresge

Anyone have a mod for the SD1 to get the same effect as the ZW?

cd

Quote from: G KresgeAnyone have a mod for the SD1 to get the same effect as the ZW?

Change the tone caps to .047u.

G Kresge

Sounds very simple. Is that all there is to it!?

Which caps are they exactly? (ie: C1, C2, etc)

cd

There's more to it, but unless you want to rip out all the FET switching, the output buffer, and install a 2nd small PCB for a different input buffer, changing the tone caps will get you 99.999% there.  Seriously.

The tone caps I'm referring to are the ones connected to the tone control.

G Kresge

I'll give it a try. Thanks CD.

petemoore

If I read the board right, there's a 1m8 series resistor at the input?
 Seems comparitively large....
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

cd

Quote from: petemooreIf I read the board right, there's a 1m8 series resistor at the input?
 Seems comparitively large....

You're reading it wrong.

vanhansen

I just got one of these today.  This is one great sounding overdrive.  Sure, it's an SD-1 clone per say but the Dunlop R&D team sure did a good job putting this one together.  The tone of my Marshall is still there with this but with more grit.  The SD-1 colored the sound a lot more compared to this.  I haven't disected it yet to look at things but I'm sure I will soon.  The nature of the beast.  :D
Erik

col

I tried a few different transistors over the weekend in this and all of them worked. The ones that sounded closest to the MPSA13 were an un-numbered Mototrola and a BC109C. I couldn't decide which sounded best, both were clear and powerful. A 2N3904 and a BC184C sounded very dull and a 2N2222 was not up to the standard of the others. I hope this helps if you can't get an MPSA13.
Col

larseko

Quote from: kojjumAlmost finnished my build yesterday with parts I had laying around as well. Found a reseller that stocks the MPSA14 in Sweden, www.bejoken.se Will contact them later today and see if they sell to private persons or if you need to have a company.
//jens

Also, the NTE 46 is a replacement for the MPSA thing. Elfa (http://www.elfa.se stocks all the NTE transistors. A bit expensive (33 NOK in Norway), but that's fine for this pedal :)

Lars Erik