Replace tactile switch or re-house?

Started by onboard, March 17, 2005, 04:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onboard

A friend sent me an 80's Ibanez SC-10 Super Stereo Chorus with a dead switch. The circuit's a-ok - what in the world kind of chance is there of getting that same switch? Maybe any momentary mini-tactile will work if I can get it mounted the right way?

Or should I re-house the pedal (might involve relocating everything board mounted, no biggie) and use a sturdy momentary stomp or 3PDT with a true bypass mod?

I e-mailed Steve Daniels to see if he had any ideas - now it's in the hands of the forum...
-Ryan
"Bound to cover just a little more ground..."

Paul Marossy

What does the existing switch look like? My Ibanez DDL has what appears to be a computer keyboard switch in it...

hairyandy

I think Small Bear stocks replacements for those switches.  I could be wrong but I recall seeing an Ibanez replacement switch on Steve's stock list.  Could be the same one?
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

onboard

It's this switch.

That was before I broke it to smithereens "taking it apart" :roll:
-Ryan

Paul Marossy

Yep, that's the same exact one that I have in my DDL. I know that replacement switches are available for those.  The one that Small Bear offers looks similar, but I don't think the two are interchangeable.

onboard

Maybe I'll start canabalizing computer keyboards 8)

Seriously - the side tabs on the switch case are an exact match to the opening where it lives in the pedal, to lock it in place. I'm thinking it has to be *that* switch. Something close could suffice with some creative installation.

I'll try Steve again.

Re-housing the circuit is starting to look like the better option...true bypass or stock circuit with a momentary stomp?

There should be a smiley for Hmmm.....
-Ryan

Paul Marossy

Well, if you have a local thriftstore nearby, you might be able to find a really ancient keyboard to pull a switch out of. The really ancient ones had those huge switches in them.  :shock:

As a matter of fact, I think I have a keypad lying around somewhere that uses those same exact switches...

onboard

"The really ancient ones" has a  certain sort of ring to it, eh?  :wink:

Thanks for the tip - I'll letcha know if indeed they work.
-Ryan

TheBigMan

I'm sure Mouser or Digikey will have something suitable.  Trouble, as always, is finding it.  Minature tactile switch would be my starting place.  IIRC the Smallbear ones were only for the 9 series, but I haven't looked extensively at the new stocklist.

mrsage

Yeah, I just got a 10-series equalizer with a bad switch...I'd be interested in a Mouser part number, too.

Dean Hazelwanter

Look for old Mac keyboards. I just finished stripping 105 switches that look *identical* to the one pictured out of one of 5 old keyboards I got for nothing from our friendly Apple Dealer.

mrsage

Hmm...any ideas for those of us who might not be able to find old Apple keyboards?

Paul Marossy

ESPguitar

Quote from: mrsageHmm...any ideas for those of us who might not be able to find old Apple keyboards?

www.banzaieffects.com
www.smallbearelec.com
www.arielfx.com

onboard

I hear ya ESP, but ordering from Isreal or Germany to the states might be a bit longish, and the switch Steve carries doesn't appear to be one that will fit these...though I need to get one in my hands to make that call.

Think I'll go scrounge some PC keyboards.
-Ryan

Paul Marossy

Thrift stores will often have those huge old clunky keyboards lying around. I have seen them on several occasions...

Ben N

I'm gonna vote for rehousing, PITA though it may be.  That is because it is, after all, a 10-series, meaning cheesy plastic case and board-mounted jacks.  Those things are bound to fail with any serious use.   Once you find the miserable little switch, it is only a matter of time til something else goes wrong, and the next time it could be the board.  Since you are already at the point of having to fix it, why not go all the way?  Think how nice a big old 1590B would be, with labels you can actually see AND knobs you can grip (or even foot-turn, MXR-style).  Whether you go momentary or TBP depends on just how brave you are in ripping the switching circuitry off the board.

When you do this thing, of course, you must do the public-spirited thing and post a photo-essay.  ;)

Ben
  • SUPPORTER

mrsage

Quote from: ESPguitarwww.banzaieffects.com
www.smallbearelec.com
www.arielfx.com
Hmm...

I only see the proper switch on the Banzai site, and it seems a bit much to pay $2.50 plus international shipping from Germany for a little switch.

I guess I'll keep watching eBay...

onboard

Ben N, I'm for re-housing it too. Gotta mention one thing though, it's a die-cast aluminum box. Pretty nice one too.

But you're right, everything is board mounted, and there's two boards - a motherboard with the main circuit and a second board with another IC, a handful of R's and C's, and the control pots/status LED.

They're connected with a 5 conductor flat ribbon jumper :shock:

Here's a Mouser part # that might do the trick for a replacement switch- SKQBAJ  

Photo essay forthcoming...
-Ryan

Ben N

Quote from: onboardGotta mention one thing though, it's a die-cast aluminum box. Pretty nice one too.
No kidding!  Gotta go look at my DL10 (walks away mumbling...)

Now that I have helped egg you into this, I actually feel bad about the headache factor.  Still, think of the suffering humanity you will be helping with that photo essay!  :D

ben
  • SUPPORTER