Vero layout for Vox ToneBender

Started by RLBJR65, March 17, 2005, 11:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RLBJR65

Torchy, Dragonfly and others have inspired me to try my hand at some vero layouts.

I have posted a layout for the Vox ToneBender on my web page.
http://home.earthlink.net/~rlbjr65/ Please note that this is not an MKII or SolaSound ToneBender it is a variation of the Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face.

This is my first attempt and is unconfirmed. Take a look, please let me know if its ok. I've got a few more to post soon that just need a few touch ups done.
Richard Boop

petemoore

I didn't see any errors, R2 looks a little larger than I've seen around, C2 is teeny compared to what I generally settle on. The 820 hanging off the gain pot is nice.
 I'm not seeing where p1 connects to ground. R5 could be eliminated and 50k volume pot could be used.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
   Nice layout!
Just a side note.........the Fuzz Face circuit  was ripped off from the Vox Tonebender.
Brian.

Dragonfly

Quote from: RLBJR65Torchy, Dragonfly and others have inspired me to try my hand at some vero layouts.

I have posted a layout for the Vox ToneBender on my web page.
http://home.earthlink.net/~rlbjr65/ Please note that this is not an MKII or SolaSound ToneBender it is a variation of the Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face.

This is my first attempt and is unconfirmed. Take a look, please let me know if its ok. I've got a few more to post soon that just need a few touch ups done.

its REALLY close....

main issue is that you labelled your pots backward...in a schematic, the lug that is "uppermost" on the "pot" symbol is lug 3. the bottom one is lug 1 ....

Going by your schematic, the output labelled "P1-1" should actually be "P1-3"...it'll work either way, but if you run the output to lug 1, the pot will work in the reverse of what we're used to :)

Also, from your schematic,  the bottom strip should be "P2-3" ....R6's strip (3rd from top) should be to "P2-1"

All in all, a very nice, well thought out, compact layout...GREAT work for your first one ! I'm gonna have to build this pedal based on your layout now ! (though i'll probably use a larger cap for C2 :) )

Andy
Dragonfly FX

RLBJR65

Thanks for the input Guys!

C2 was suposed to be .033uF :oops: Three schems. I have seen show R2 as being 2.2k on the Vox. I Don't know anyone with an original to check so... ? Brian, thanks for clearing that up always wonderd which came first. I'll get it fixed up this weekend.

Thanks again.
Richard Boop

brian wenz

Hello Hello-
    RLBJR65--  I have an original and I've also got the original Vox parts list for it.    Some models [can't remember which...] had a 1K in there and some had a 2.2K.  You get more gain with the 2.2 but I like the 1K 'cux it keeps things a little "clearer" when playing it through a distorted amp [like a Marshall or Vox...]   By the way, what kind of amp are you using???   These circuits don't like some American amps  [60's and 70's Fenders...].
Brian.

RLBJR65

Thanks Brian, I'll put that in the build notes and maybe add a mod. with a 1K fixed and 1K pot. Do the other part values look right? I have 3 schems. and they are all a little different, so if 2 of them had the same value listed thats what I used.

I'm not much of a guitar player and right now I only have an old Peavy SS, my Fuzz Face sounds pretty good on it. Currently working on a FireFly amp at the rate I'm going it will be another month or 2 before I get it done.
Richard Boop

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
      The value of R3 usually has to be adjusted.  I get the best results by putting in a trimpot and adjusting the voltage on Q2's  collector to around 5 - 6 v .    
Brian.