Schematics and layouts forum

Started by aron, March 18, 2005, 03:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcos - Munky

Thanks, Aron. I will start to upload some things to the gallery.

EDIT: Added a schematic.

brian wenz

Hello Hello Aron---
       Cool!  Thanks!
Brian.

MartyB

A really nice addition to the forum Aron!
8)

JIG

This is so needed! I have been frequenting the AX84 site for about 3 years and one of the things I thought was so helpful was the project links of the various amps. With descriptions on each one.

I had been wishing that this site had a similar feature, and now you have it! :D  Is there a way to do and index of the page in order to see the types of projects posted? I know you can do a search for "distortion" and what-not with a description? Just thinking out loud.

Thanks Aron! This will be an INVALUABLE  rescource for us schematic junkies :lol:

JIG

rubberlips

Great work Aron,
nice to see everyone adding their stuff.

Maybe a couple of improvements?
If we're going to do it, why not have seperate folders for each project and people can add their layouts, schematics builds etc

So for example we have a tube screamer folder which could have
* schematic
* PCB
* vero, perf layouts
* mods
* build photos
* maybe a picture of the original effects for comparison etc
* sound samples

Would it be harder this way for contributors to upload their layouts etc doing it this way??

It might be harder adding a search to the site as it is because the descriptons would have to be spot on to find anything you're looking for easily.

This way you can have it all in the one spot, different versions etc

Pete
play it hard, play it LOUD!

petemoore

For people who like working with circuits, on Veroboard, it's an excellent choice !!
 Get help on a certain circuit you didn't make X pcb on ? there's gonna be everything right there, very style, if not, we'll put 'er right !!!
 Cool...a standard format...tested layouts, and debug info, all per 'title'...ROXX !!]
 That's gonna help the 'language' because identifying parts is as easy as R1 or even 'down right column 2 spaces over from left 2 spaces, blows perf away for talking about...just be certain 'we' are on the same page, talking about the Same layout !!!
 not a stich of very board anywhere around this bench even, and I'm excited already ...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

JIG

Quote from: rubberlipsGreat work Aron,
nice to see everyone adding their stuff.

Maybe a couple of improvements?
If we're going to do it, why not have seperate folders for each project and people can add their layouts, schematics builds etc

So for example we have a tube screamer folder which could have
* schematic
* PCB
* vero, perf layouts
* mods
* build photos
* maybe a picture of the original effects for comparison etc
* sound samples

Would it be harder this way for contributors to upload their layouts etc doing it this way??

It might be harder adding a search to the site as it is because the descriptons would have to be spot on to find anything you're looking for easily.

This way you can have it all in the one spot, different versions etc

Pete

EXACTLY what I was thinking of!!

JIG

mveitch

i think the new layouts site is a superb idea, so thanks to everyone concerned.

i agree with rubberlips' suggestions too, I guess it would turn the whole thing into a comprehensive resource for each pedal.

As an additional suggestion, what about circuit voltages?? I know this is just a minor thing, but the first thing i do after a prototyping a board is to measure the voltages at critical points on the circuit - this makes life a lot easier when i come to solder it onto a board and inevitably have to debug my mistakes.

anyway, just a suggestion. again i think the whole thing is a great idea.

Peter Snowberg

Great ideas Pete! 8)

The hitch is the administartion and managment of the rest of the information here.

We already have a forum full of data on mods, building, and debugging information. Now we have a way to add pictures, layouts, PCB art, and schematics, but the permissions are on a per-folder basis which is the only way it can work in a public and anonymous forum. The missing item from a content standpoint (from your list) is storage for sound samples.

One suggestion I will make would be to start a thread here based around a picture or series of pictures of/pertaining to an effect. Call it something like "[PROJECT] Tube Screamer" if that's what it is. Just be sure to begin it with "[PROJECT]" so that searches can easily find it. Add links to forum threads about building, debugging, and mods. I can then index it in the "ISI" section. I can only make indexes in the "ISI" section so the thread has to live somewhere.

Thanks! :D
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

petemoore

just an observation...schematics 2 started out as mostly schematics, but many requests for schematics appeared and kind of globbed up the section for those searching for schematics...was the initial intent that it be a place for requests, or schematics or both?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

brad

I've been meaning to mention this for a while:

I reckon diystompboxes would function better if it were a network of blog accounts with the forum and homepage as hubs.  Members could have their own blog page with a space for posting their personal details, comments, discoveries, sound clips, schematics and build pics.  Each member blog would then be linked to others via friend lists, keywords, and groups so members can form networks with other like-minded members, share ideas, and keep track of what they're up to.

The diystompboxes homepage would then act as a hub, where contributor's articles could be posted and lists of links to popular keywords and recently updated blogs would appear.  The forum would also act as a hub for open discussion, however, the blog accounts would make it easier for people to say "check out what xyz is up to!" or "if you want wacky effects...go look at xyz group!"  It would also cut down on the amount of repeated and "noob" topics because people would be able to aim their questions to the appropriate groups of people.

There are quite a few members with personal pages that have layouts ect on them, so why not encorporate all these people into a common network of contributors?