Alvin Lee Tone

Started by jmusser, March 18, 2005, 06:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmusser

My brother brought over "SSSSh" by "Ten Years After" last night, and I hadn't listened to them for years. I loved the tone that he got on that album. It sounded real "germy". I don't know exactly what it was, but I believe it's what most people on forum call "wooly". I thought, "why haven't I listened to the guys much before this?" Today they had "Woodstock" on VH1, and of course Ten Years After. Now I remember why I never listened to him. That whole set was crap! I guess some of it had to do with them having to play after the rain storm and problems with tuning, but it sure was a poor showing, for a fairly talented group and guitarist.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Mike Burgundy

First off, excuses but these kind of questions get boring. When they're about the same dude all over again (Hendrix on 'Chile, Page on... you know). " Course it's mostly their fingers...
BUT this is actually refreshing. Sorry to say I don't know what Lee is using, but I did enjoy simply seeing his name.
anyone up for someone more obscure? (not to say Mr Lee is obscure - you know what I mean)

bluesdevil

From what I remember, I liked the Woodstock performance.... I thought he wailed it pretty good, actually. ... out of tune or not.
     As far as more obscure is concerned, how 'bout Johnny Thunders? 2 fingers, a load of attitude and a very unique sound in my opinion.  And speaking of rock n' roll primitives: The Cramps really fuzzed it up on the first couple of albums..... anybody know what pedals they used?
      I think Thunders just ran his LP junior (TV yellow, of course) straight into a Fender Twin at full blast, but  maybe all the mojo came from all the drugs in his sweat melting into the strings, I don't know.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

vortex

10 Years After was/is a great band! Amazing heavy blues from white english boys.I mean boys!, Alvin Lee was damn young when they did some of their first albums.
I think that as far as gear, it was a Gibson ES-335 and Marshall. I was listening to a buddy of mine play his 335 through a Rangemaster I made the other night and the Alvin Lee tone was certainly there. In fact we had a laugh as he worked the "Baby, please don't go" riff from the "I'm Goin Home"
Woodstock medley.
Frankly , I think "I'm Goin Home" is pretty rockin but only the tip of the iceberg for 10 Years after...

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
  Alvin Lee played his ES-335 through Marshall 50-watters. [No effects.]
Brian.

Pedal love

He did use that combination and his pickups were exposed humbuckers.pl

The Tone God

I'm pretty sure he had a single coil in between the humbuckers too.

Andrew

bwanasonic

The TYA/ A. Lee riff that is most integral to the primordial ooze of my early guitar influences is "Good Morning Little School Girl". Whatever record that was on was the one I remember cranking on my old behemoth Magnavox console HiFi Stereo circa the early 70's.

Quote from: bluesdevil
     As far as more obscure is concerned, how 'bout Johnny Thunders? 2 fingers, a load of attitude and a very unique sound in my opinion.  And speaking of rock n' roll primitives: The Cramps really fuzzed it up on the first couple of albums..... anybody know what pedals they used?

Don't want to hijack the thread, but if you start a *New York Dolls/ Cramps* thread I can share my anecdotes about seeing those bands live. Can someone do a *six degrees of separation* connecting Alvin Lee to the Cramps and Dolls?

Kerry M

Fret Wire

Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

rubberlips

It took me 10 years after to get into them  :lol:
Alvin certainly could rip it up, but the woodstock very repeatative.
10 years was one of those stop start bands for me...all of sudden you're rockin' next you're waiting for the next rockin song.
Well that's what I got out of the live album

Pete
play it hard, play it LOUD!

Johnny Guitar

I have mixed feelings about Alvin Lee. I saw TYA several times in the 70s and liked them. I did like AL's playing but (especially now) find it repetative somewhat uninspired. He really seems to have only about ten licks that he recycles in many ways. He does some interesting sweep picking and left hand sliding and gets great milage out of it, but I'm not really aware of him improvising that much. I also find much of the music of TYA rather basic but not really authentic blues rock -- very much of the 70s era.

That said, the Woodstock performance of "I'm Goin' Home" is one of my favorites because the sound of his guitar is quite aggressive (more than usual) and the band is rushing the tempo. One of those glorious messes that epitomize the best live rock and roll for me.

My other favorite TYA album (and the only one I have on CD) is the 68 (I think) live album called "Undead". Very jazzy, great tone, and a rather intersting version of "I'm Goin' Home".

And I did remember the single coil PU from the Woodstock film (but not necessarily his later 335s). The Gibson Custom Shop model (follow the link that Fret Wire posted above) also has the single coil.

John

Rick

Does anybody remember the "Woodchopper's ball" tune. It's like ~20mins of Alvin just honking at warp speed and well done ! It has more feeling and punch IMO than a lot of the hot asses out there now.  Give this one a listen and then listen to it again and enjoy !!!  ...Rick

StephenGiles

Well you see he was a lead guitarist - what ever happened to them?
I saw TYA a few times at the London Marquee, I even taped them with a primative cassette recorder, appalling quality, I wonder what happened to the  tape?
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".