Hardest request EVER?

Started by Jack, March 18, 2005, 08:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

I'm after a schematic for the "Dynasoar" fuzz used by sonic youth AS A SLIDE. It could allegedly "blow up" an amp.
This might just be a case of killing cats, but it'll still be fun :wink:

object88

Ummmm... what?  :)

I think what you're saying is that you're looking for a schematic for the "Dynasoar", which was used by Sonic Youth.  You said it was used as a slide... do you mean that they physically picked up the effect (stompbox?), and fretted with it?  As for it blowing up an amp, well, if it's a booster, that's possible, although you're not really going to get much of a kaboom.  More like a fitz, or a pop, then silence.  Maybe some nasty smells.  Ew.

And sorry, but what do you mean by "a case of killing cats"?  :)

Rob Strand

QuoteHardest request EVER?

Wasting the peoples time.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

barret77

"well, if it's a booster, that's possible,"

hey, can anyone tell me in which situation a booster can blow the amp? now I got worried. I use a midiman preamp as a clean booster, and it has a lot of gain...

Doug_H

cd

Quote from: barret77"well, if it's a booster, that's possible,"

hey, can anyone tell me in which situation a booster can blow the amp? now I got worried. I use a midiman preamp as a clean booster, and it has a lot of gain...

If you've got a tube amp, don't worry about it, the input tube can handle a lot of abuse.  If you've got anything solid state, be worried.

Jack

Yeah, the thread title is a little trashy, I didn't intend it to come out that annoying.

Quote from: object88And sorry, but what do you mean by "a case of killing cats"?  :)

A dangerous amount of curiosity.

And yes Kim Gordon of Sonic youth used it as a slide, much like some people use lighters, bottlenecks, etc.

Mike Burgundy

weeeelll... a full-blown/grown fuzz (think FuzzFace and such) is definitively capable of blowing up amps or seriously hurting people when thrown right. When used as intended, everything should be fine..
If you wish to destroy amps, there's easier ways. Mostly involving welding acrs, irate booking agents, cheated-on girlfiends or hydraulic crushers.

disclaimer:
in no way have I cheated on hydraulic machinery, operated girfriends or handled arcs - I do not know how to sail.

petemoore

too much input for the speakers or output to handle, it sounds pretty bad...hopefully the caretaker knows what to do in such situations,
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

guitarhacknoise

not that this helps any, but.................this is what it looks like:
http://www.jakeelee.com/equipment/effects/images/dyna-soar_sm.jpg
-matthias
EDIT
Also, Joe Gagan has messed with this, check schems 2.......................here you go.....
http://www.diystompboxes.com/cgi-bin/webbbs_scripts/webbbs_config.pl?read=250
EDIT #2:
Hey, somethings wrong! page shows up but not scheme, ?
what am I messing up?
EDIT#3:
O.k. so this is probably not the fuzz you are looking for, sorry.
I guess joe decided not to let people take advantage anymore.
-matthias
"It'll never work."

brett

IMO physical damage is *always* better than electrical damage to amps.  You definately want to hit it with a microphone stand or the bass ax.

Having said that, there's something cool about setting fire to under-rated speakers.  I have fond memories of burning a weak little eminance 12" (beta??).  It stank, burnt and died badly.

Seriously though, these things are best done at home with a fire extinguisher nearby.  And if it becaomes a habit, you'll need to be earning  enough $$$ for your fixes (no pun intended!)
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)