Wah + Any Two Pedals makes my signal cut...

Started by Cabezahead, March 19, 2005, 06:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cabezahead

I'm having a really really odd problem with my wah pedal these days...  I recently built a 7 loop bypass board and run all my effects  through it.  The input goes to a jfet buffer to the first loop which is the wah.  The rest of the loops are sparkleboost, jawari, TS-type drive, Orange Squeezer, Minibooster, Korg PME40...

The wah works fine alone... And works fine in tandem with any single other pedal.  But if I have the wah on and ANY two other pedals - the signal cuts and can only be heard if I play real hard.  I can have ALL of my pedals on except the wah and it works fine.  But as soon I bring the wah in - the signal cuts out.

Anyone have any idea what would cause this?  The wah and any two pedals causing all sorts of chaos?  It also does this if I put the wah before the box.  I haven't tried a straight line of pedals yet...

The wah, by the way, is a Dunlop 535 Q... I have fully messed with the gain levels and sweep of it - but nothing works.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

-CH

petemoore

Audio Probe them, see if you can figure out where the signal is getting 'caught up'...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

R.G.

Have you measured your power supply voltage when the volume is low?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Cabezahead

Allrighty - looks like a got a probe-filled day tomorrow.  :-)

I'll check it out and letcha know what's up.
Thanks guys

-CH

dosmun

Are you running the Loop off of the same Power supply as the pedals?  If the loop has LED's they could be drawing more current than the power supply can put out.   Do you get any noise or hum along with the volume drop?

ryanscissorhands

Q:Was it a morley wah pedal by any chance?

I opened up (and butchered) my morley wah/distortion uni a few months ago, and was surprised to find 3 sets of LED's/LDR's. Plus the LED for the indicator (with distortion on, that meant 2 indicators). That's a lot of LED's, and if they're not very bright, they would suck a lot of current. I second the idea that it could be a current-sucking problem. Check it out.

Cabezahead

Naw - it was a crybaby - and I've since fixed the problem with a voodoo labs powersupply...  The LEDS on my looper are BRRRRIGHT - so I plugged 'em into the voodoolabs 'extra amperage' socket or whatever and it works like a doosy.

I just like my LEDS bright.

What can I say?

-CH