Trem face pics

Started by leonhendrix, March 19, 2005, 09:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leonhendrix

Got a trem face a few days ago, i havent got a clue if ipaid to much for it cos ive only seen one on sale before and that was $800, i paid nowhere near that for this one, probably due to it not being in mint condition.

from the outside u can see it hasnt got the original knobs (which im still looking for), something else i noticed when comparing it to the one at foxrox the lines on the foot-tread are going in a different direction.

looking at the cicuit i noticed some changes that have been made, looking at the two brown wires there are some resistors that dont look original, on the foxrox pictures they are both 4k7 where as on mine one is 5k6 and coming off the other brown wire is a 5k6 in series with a 2k2 which seems weird. instead of the BC184C mine has a BC546 im not sure if this was changed or that they didnt have any BC184Cs on hand when building it. im not sure if the electrolytic caps are original

looking on the botom u can see three resestor in series (adds up to 4K2) in parrallel with the 330uF cap. i got a bit confused because on RGs schem it looks like 22K but looking at the parts list i realised it was 2k2.

its not the best trem in world but one of the rarest so i thought id share it with u nice people.

petemoore

Nice Share Leonhendrix !!
 Those pictures tell a great story.
 Line tread orientation MoJo...just don't slip and break a leg !!! :D
 Gotta love the 'ol PCB MoJo Look also. I want my PCB's to look exactly like clones of what you show there.
 The inside of the pedal is like looking at a piece of very vintage fine art to these eyes...Excellent Example !!!
 It looks like that PCB board was *floated or something [*concrete layers terminology], then soaked...but that's I guess how they came out looking after the processes...stained, brushed and knived looking like a painting, 'seepy' looking like water color wash.
 Interesting little resistor string there too !
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

analogguru

thanks for the interesting pictures...

I hope, you didn´t pay to much for this unit.... :?

Knobs not original...
BC546 not original...
Elkos not original...
and some resistors not original...

so, what happened with this unit ?

Originally there should be a BC 148 C ...C ist important for the gain...450 - 900

Somebody changed the transistor to a BC546...seems to be without a specified gain range...so starting maybe at 125...

if we look at the resistors at the trackside they form a 4k2 resistor in parallel to the 2k2 emitter resistor giving a total value of 1k44.

The 4k7 resistor which is nearer to the base of the transistor has been changed to 5k6 and the other one to 7k8....

also one of the blue tantal-elkos has been changed to an orange one...maybe you can have a look whats written on it.

this means the guy playing around with that unit had problems to make the oscillator work properly and twiggled around to make it run...
maybe short time before selling it....

It would be interesting to get one or more close-up picture of the yellow component which is mounted on the output jack...it seems to be an uncommon ceramic disc capacitor ?

also it would be nice, if you could measure the value of the trimpoti, I assume, it will be between 25k and 100k...

on the diode should be written 1S 2062 this means this would be a zener-diode with 6,2 V.

The second transistor should be marked BF 244 B

analogguru

leonhendrix

hi analogguru

alot of of u said i already pointed out, so its not like youve droped a bombshell on me.

the second tranny is  BF244B

the diode is 2062

the orange cap is 0.47, i know its suposed to 0.68

ive bidded on a load of vintage pedals on ebay and it pretty hard finding one that in someway hasnt been tampered with that is in my price range, if this was a mint condition tremface there would be no chance of me owning it, and now even battered up vintage pedals can command high prices because of the ease to restore, ive seen a fuzz face with non-original pots,Knobs,transistors go for £100+

i suppose u dont have any original knobs caps resistors lying about

leon

analogguru

Quotethe diode is 2062

so R.G. schem is a little bit wrong with 5v6 zener...

Quotethe orange cap is 0.47, i know its suposed to 0.68

maybe you can make a complete picture of the PCB that I can see, where it has been soldered and also for the size of the elkos ?

Quoteive seen a fuzz face with non-original pots,Knobs,transistors go for £100+

crazy people never die... :D
for this money I could produce an assembled PCB where you can´t even see a difference to the original vintage one... :D
(I have enough old junk laying around (some NOS), even this brown PCB-material...and original BC 108s...Maybe you also want a tonebender-pcb with SFT363E ?  :D )

Quotei suppose u dont have any original knobs caps resistors lying about

the 125µF cap in blue i should have...if the 330µF in black at foxrox is original, I dont know...I have seen a picture of another one, with a blue elko same size, i suppose also 125µF....even if not, I would suspect there should be a 250µF or 250µF which i may have...BC 148C i am not sure - I must have a look, some trannys in this plastic-case i have...The resistors I am pretty sure I don´t have, even when i have a lot of vintage resistors the style they where used in the fuzz-face....

i must have a look...

I don´t know which knobs are really original, for this reason I don´t know if a may have one...

analogguru

leonhendrix

im pretty sure i can get hold of the caps and transistor, i think the original knobs are the same as the original fuzz face, im pretty sure i wont be to find the same resistors though

thanx anyway

leon

Tremology

Can one of you post the "corrected" schematic (from R.G.'s) for the Trem Face? Thanks for the great pictures and discussion but I need to actually see on paper (or computer monitor) exactly what you're talking about to better understand this circuit. I may even be able to join in and help.

Has anyone built a clone to see what this sounds like and if it even works?

Thanks!!
Tremology
If it ain't broke, don't fix it...modify it!!

leonhendrix

Mark F

QuoteHas anyone built a clone to see what this sounds like and if it even works?
I remember reading somewhere(it may have been on RG's site) that the TremFace was a rather poor sounding Tremelo.