ignorant's question on wal warts

Started by barret77, March 19, 2005, 01:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barret77

Hello all

This might be the stupidiest question ever, but let me state it.
I found a functioning 6 volt 0.2 A walwart on the garbage;
Is there a way to open it and mess with the tranny to get a 9V  too feed a stompbox? is it 0.2 A too weak?

sorry again about the electronics ignorance...

Hal

if you _could_ get it to be 12v, it would be .1a !.  So..._maybe_, but probably not.  

I'd still keep it.  You never know when you could use it for something, wall-warts are useful :-D.

petemoore

"IF 6 was 9"
 I've measured 6V stated WW's that measured a good bit more than 6V.
 Do you need exactly 12v ?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

barret77

well, the majority of projects is fed through 9V...
The one I have in mind for using the wart is a mxr micro amp...

petemoore

Could be the 6V WW will run the MA
 what does it measure?
 I got a bag of WW's at a garage sale, garbage..here and there, thrift store...super cheep.
 For voltage tests I hook up an LM317 or other voltage regulator, and start with a couple/few volta supply for the 317 above what I want the circuit to run at, then adjust and measure to see where it starts making a difference in performance, remembering not to exceed the cap or any active circuit components max voltage rating.
 Another way is series diodes [I used something like 4001's as used for power supply reverse polarity protection]. Just insert these between V+ rail and power supply pointing toward V+...measure the threshold on the diode...that's how much the voltage drops for PS use.
 All my stuff runs fine on 8v-14v....except my gem of a low voltage multi booster...I use an LM317 [W/surface mounted pot] and diodes for voltage drops on that...

toneman

i doubt if "opening it up" would do any good.....but...
if U *could* access the AC side, U could peobably make a
voltage doubler with a diode and a cap.
i canget  WWs at my local (surplus) Esupply store.
they range from 2.95 to 6.95.
depends what your time is worth.........(?)
staywartless..... :-)
but, B transformed....
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

barret77

hmmm I'm starting to think that this is not really worth it...
I need to look around Boston for some electronic surplus place and get a cheap correct one (any hints? anyone from Boston?)

petemoore

People seem to like Boss PSA adapters and Dan Electro Zero Hum's worked for me.
 I got a bagload of these froma thrift store for a buk or so, Hauled them off from garbages, Garbage sales etc.
 Ive got a slough of them...often times houses collect a box of them from old This's and Thats's that used them and failed.
 I use 16v caps, so look for something between 9V [on the 'low side] 14v-15V [MAX V.] in WW's...and don't notice much difference in MOst of these effects except maybe a little more headroom that is generally not necessary, because there's plenty of that at 9v.

Hal

pete - I ment if it happened to be center tapped, and running in paralell.