Fuzz face PNP adaptor problem

Started by emerswin, March 20, 2005, 03:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emerswin

any help for my second build...I built the PNP Transistor, Positive Ground FF from GGG with the germaniums from smallbear. Sounds great with a battery. Won't work with a pos tip adaptor. Any suggestions? I guess it could be a bad adaptor jack, but it's a new one...

petemoore

Battery
 GEO Spyder
  Anything except 'adapter' 'cause FF's don't like'em
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

emerswin

tried a different adaptor jack...same thing. If I had know this I wouldn't even have drilled the hole in the box... :(

R.G.

Your problem may be that most power adapters put out positive on the outer shell of the plug and negative on the inner pin, backwards from most jacks. If you're not careful, you hooked up the power jack backwards. Worse, unless the jack is isolated from the housing, the jack hooks positive to the shell - which may work for you in this one case, but for NPN negative ground pedals it's a huge problem

I would get out my DMM and find out what is happening to the voltage on my PCB when I plug in a power adapter rather than junking it. Then at least you'd know.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

petemoore

I put a leather coat on a box, it was sparking against the adjacent box, I don't know if PS issues caused that or not, I was running batteries.
 I suppose it would, since you have + of battery one on box 1's shielding and negative of battery 2 on box 2's shielding....cable inbetween connecting the + and - grounds...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.