BSIAB II volume drop

Started by emerswin, March 20, 2005, 06:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emerswin

Well I think this is it....the trimmer apears to be 100 ohms and not 100k!! I'll take the blame here for not checking it better. The funny thing is, the pedal sounds great, but soft. I'll go pick up a new trimer or do as Pete suggested and give a report back to you all. Thanks for the help thus far. And thanks for the design Ed!

emerswin

Found a 100k trimmer and socketed it in, a quick adjustment and perfecto!! IT SOUNDS AMAZING! Big thanks to all who helped...what a relief. Thanks a lot Ed for the great cuicut! Highly recommended to anyone looking for that Marshall in a box tone.

Ed G.

Quote from: emerswinWell I think this is it....the trimmer apears to be 100 ohms and not 100k!! I'll take the blame here for not checking it better. The funny thing is, the pedal sounds great, but soft. I'll go pick up a new trimer or do as Pete suggested and give a report back to you all. Thanks for the help thus far. And thanks for the design Ed!

Ha! You aren't the first, nor will you be the last to botch up a parts value. That happens to the best of us.
Glad you got it working and like how it sounds. Everytime I don't get a circuit to work right off, I consider it a lesson in the fine art of debugging. At least yours was relatively painless. Enjoy the pedal!

petemoore

For that kind of thing...bias trubbles, a DMM probing for resistor value checking could probably have found this.
 Going across a resistor in cct may give an 'anomolous' reading...which becomes less an anomoly and more of an equation of the alternate current path 'around the resistor through the circuit...then you either have to lift one end to get an accurate reading on the R, or do a little math and see if the equations match or make some kind of sense...
 When them trimpots 'actup' I stick the DMM on R mode across it and twist the dial on it...they're sort of delicate, or I'm kind of rough because I've had plenty of them give failed performance...I'm getting better at re-using them...don't quote me and don't re-use them cause I do...lol.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.