AM Radio Mimic

Started by Indy, March 21, 2005, 01:06:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indy

First Off I Should Mention That I'm Fairly New Too This And What You May Consider A Given Or Old News, I'll Consider Excellent Advice.

What I'm Wanting Is A Circuit That Cuts The Treble And Bass Of A Guitar Signal Exposing The "Ugly" Midrange.  I Would Also Like A Hint Of Distortion. (With Luck) This Will Sound Like An AM Radio, It's Used In Some Songs During the Intro/Ending Too Great Effect.  My Problem Is That It Is Usually Edited Into The Song In A Studio... I Dun Have A Studio

If Someone Has Already Made A Circuit Like This A Schematic Would Be Very Nice, Otherwise Could Someone Point Me In The Direction Of A Simple 3 Band EQ Or Tell Me How To Make A Circuit That Cuts Treble/Bass Out By Design?

octafish

Search function is at the top of the forum page: words to look for

LoFo MoFo: that's the radio sound (My next band will be called Escobedo)

Tonemender: a brand spanking new three band EQ from runoffgroove.com
Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. -Last words of Breaker Morant

GreenEye

There's a guy who has a site with a pedal and schem you need.  It has a rotary dial that goes from "1940" to "1980" radio sounds, in 10-year increments (using bandpass filters).  He's the guy who also made the weapon of mass distortion pedal, spongebob square pants, and the serial killer.  I can't google and find it to save my life.  I may have the link at work....more later.

Dragonfly

LofoMofo....

you can check the "Layouts Gallery" for an EZ Build vero layout, in the "Dragonfly" folder :)

andy

GreenEye

found it:
http://www.vmsrecords.com/dissolute/pedals.html

He calls it a vintage radio simulator - scroll down.  I was thinking about checking it out.  If you build it - post the results!

R.G.

You might also like the "telephone" sound of the Low Fidelity pedal at GEO:
http://geofex.com/FX_images/lofi.gif
It lets you mix in a variable amount of noise as well.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Processaurus

Brilliant idea (in the "vintage radio simulator") of using an unshielded box to let in tons of noise and RF into the circuit, but using shielded cable from the in and out jack to keep the bypass signal clean.

Indy

I Think I'm Going To Try The Vintage Radio Simulator, But The Schem Has Me A Little Confused.  I Understand That The Points A And B Are The Rotary Switch But I Don't Understand, Are Highpass '1' And Lowpass '1' Soldered To The Same Lead On The Switch? Then How Does The Highpass Section Reconnect To The Circuit?Or Are There Two Rotary Switches?(Even though You Can Only See One In The Picture) Then How Are They Syncronized?

I Know It's Gonna Be Stupidly Simple, But I Just Can't Understand It.
P.S. Thanks For All The Help

Narcosynthesis

right, i was contemplating building something along these lines so i think i will give it a shot (the one on the page with the spongebob muff and so on)

for the rotary switch, i can get 2p6t rotary switches in maplins, they have two kinds though, break before make, or make before break, which one would be best here? or does it not matter?

David

hank reynolds 3rd

i don´t think it matters whether they are make before break or vice versa.
i think i used both (from maplins also) on a meatball i made, and it works ok.
Not 100% sure, but i think éither will work

Cheers

Sam

Narcosynthesis

i am guessing it means whether it will break contacy with the existing connection before connecting the new one, or stay connected until the new contact is made, if that is right either way should be safe enough...

answered my own question there, havent i  :roll:

and for once maplins have all the parts! transisters and diodes and everythgin (the swithc has 6 contacts instead of 5, but i can deal with that, any ideas for the extra contact?)
whats the bet that my local maplins dont have half the parts in stock now ...

David

GreenEye

have you tried to contact the designer?  he may have his email on that page, or another page in the series.  my take is, if people post stuff like that, they're more than willing to talk about it or answer questions about their creations....

Narcosynthesis

quick question about the schem for the radio pedal,
on the second part of the rotary switch, it says not used, does that mean it is wired up but without a cap, or left completely empty
i would have thought if it was empty it would break the hot signal line -> no output, or am i wrong?

i went to get all the bits today, wrote them all out on the little bits of paper they give you to use, ran out of space so used the back...
the guy only gave me the bits i wrote on the back, and missed out everythign on the front... and i wasnt really paying attention so only realised when i got home, back to maplins for me then...

David