OT: How do I get Claptons solo sound?

Started by samzeppelin, March 21, 2005, 05:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samzeppelin

Hi guys i just listened to some cream songs and I wonder how he (eric clapton) gets that clear, cutting,
clean, fuzzy, treble sound?
any pedal suggestions?

Thanks
Sam
page rules

Ge_Whiz

1. The hard way: Dallas Rangemaster, decent vintage Brit valve amp cranked right up, start experimenting.

2. The easy way: Digitech "Crossroads" pedal:
http://www.digitech.com/products/ClaptonPedal/Clapton.htm

AL

Clapton used to use Marshall's and Gibson's also - NOT strats like he is known for now. I think he used that crazy, psychodelic painted SG with Cream??? The Beano album had a Marshall Combo amp and a Rangemaster I think. Any Clapton fanatics out there that can confirm this?

AL

RDV

SG(with tone rolled down) + Wah-Wah set to a partially open position(most of the time) + cranked Marshall.

RDV

petemoore

Here's what works for that for me.
 LP, switch in the middle, volumes 'tuned' down just a bit, balancing bewteen HB's for the 'cream' inbetween.
 Humbuckers [I use PAF Dimarzio's, [OT my necks PU is a split coil]
 Tonebender, FF gets close too.
 Reverb
 Rock Tube Amp at med to med high volume.
 Gets It.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

StephenGiles

We've had this one before! I think folks sleep better thinking that he used a Rangemaster, but I never noticed one when I saw him in the Bluesbreakers and Cream. I'm pretty sure that he just cranked his amp up full. ............
but if you want to think he used one then go ahead!!!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

bwanasonic

RDVs or Pete's approach should get you in the ball park. There have been reports of photos showing a (grey?) tonebender in the studio in this era, possibly straight to the board. As always when discussing a 35 year old recording (or any recording really), the actual recording process cannot be disregarded as part of the tone you hear (mics, board, tape compression, etc.)

The most recent interview with EC in Guitar Player stressed the rolled back tone control and wah-wah into cranked marshall as the ingredients iin that tone.

Kerry M

WGTP

Apparantly, he used an ES335 for Crossroads and it sold for $850,000 at a charity auction.  Blackie was also sold, but I don't remember if it was more or less.

Seems like I read that he spent a year or so enamored by the ToneBender sound.  Probably depends on the song.  I guess he also had a Firebird I for a time as well as the others mentioned.   8)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Joe Hart

When he runs out of guitars to auction off, and starts auctioning off body parts, buy his hands!
-Joe Hart

BD13UK

I believe that the first album Fresh Cream was made using a Les Paul and Marshall 2x12 Combo known today as the Bluesbreaker, whether a Rangemaster was used or not I couldn't say but on that particular album he seemed to get a lot of trebly edge something that that amp wasn't really known for, He went on to use the SG and 100 watt Marshall heads with 4x12 cabs after that after the LP was nicked. I saw him with the SG and two Marshall stacks and all he had outboard was a wah no other effects though he's reputed to have used a Fuzz of some type on Disraeli Gears, certainly sounds like it at times.
Brian

brett

QuoteApparantly, he used an ES335
That one appeared in a recent documentary showing Cream playing one of those classic Brit concert halls (can't remember which one).  I payed special attention coz I have been thinking of picking up a 2nd hand 335.  Might have been later Cream, coz lots of the classics were covered.

cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

SeanCostello

2. The easy way: Digitech "Crossroads" pedal:
http://www.digitech.com/products/ClaptonPedal/Clapton.htm[/quote]

Er, yeah, I played through one of these at NAMM. Sounded entirely unlike Clapton. It might have been the fault of the demo guitar: some cheap balsa-wood heavy metal superstrat. Still, it was nowhere in the ballpark, & you would think they would supply a guitar that could at least get a decent "woman-tone."

Sean Costello