Over Under Sideways Down

Started by Ed G., March 21, 2005, 10:59:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed G.

Anyone see those Chevy Cobalt commercials? When I heard those licks, I thought, "I bet that's some old Jeff Beck" just because it was so un-blueslike...he has such a way of not doing the obvious. A co-worker told me it was in fact the Yardbirds.
That's such a cool fuzz tone. I imagine then it's one of the tonebenders, would that be the 2 or 3 knob version?

petemoore

Recent discussion thread about that...
 I'd go with the 2 knob Tonebender...socket a cap or so.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

MartyMart

I've read that "JB" used a "Two knob tonebender" in those days
I built the "small bear" version recently ..... gorgeous sounding fuzz  :D

Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

StephenGiles

Try to find "Youre a better man than I" by the Yardbirds. I think it was the B side of Heart Full of Soul - Jeff Beck did a fuzz solo with amazing sustain.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

SeanCostello

Is it the original Yardbirds clip? For some reason, it sounded like a cover - very close, but not quite Jeff Beck.

Two-knob Tone Bender, for sure. One question is whether it would be the 3-transistor version (Mk II) or the older 2 transistor version.

Sean Costello

petemoore

I've got a Tonebender here, with three Ge's ordered from Small Bear...the pedal is superb. The three knobber I haven't tried, and read it's less intense, or mellower, the 2Q version of the TB is a basically a FF circuit.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
     I'd have to hear he commercial again but I think it's a "cover" version.
[And the tone of the fuzz doesn't sound like the original, either...]
Beck was using a Sola Sound TB MK I  [which may have been a different circuit then the Vox Tonebender MK I]  and it had 2 knobs.  Some of the earlier  Gary Hurst - built MK I circuits had three trannys instead of the two-tranny Vox-style TB.
Yeah..."Mister, You're A Better Man Then I"  has a GREAT fuzz solo on it!
Brian.

pjwhite

Yeah, it's a cover version, and they play it WRONG.  One note goes down where it should go up and it drives me crazy everytime I hear it.  I pulled out my old Yardbirds album and gave it a listen the other day to be sure.  Man, the original sure is a great song.  Lots of energy, killer riff.

squidsquad

Once again I agree w/Brian W.  And that commercial drives me crazy...because he plays the lick WRONG!!!  As for me...the solo on Evil Hearted You (Yardbirds) is what made me get my first Strat...thinking I needed a whammy bar to get the vibrato.  But of course...it was a SLIDE...DUH!
(I was young).  Never lost my love for strats....thanks Jeff!

squidsquad

BTW...there is SO much magic on SO many of them Yardbird tracks....I won't even list them...it would be too long.  They were the first band I would ALWAYS catch when they came to town (Chicago)...LIVE=WOW!!!

StephenGiles

The JB lineup was very different from the former EC lineup, far more bluesy.There was a CD of the Yardbirds' BBC sessions, I was always there by my old reel to reel, finger poised on the pause button!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

brian wenz

Hello Hello---
       It's always pissed me off that the "bean counters" in back of all these commercials don't want to pay royalties to the original performers so they have some hack record a cover version....................pricks....
Well, the good news is it's made me want to get all my Yardbirds albums out again!
Brian.

Pedal love

RG might want to chime in.

Ed G.

I guess if it makes guys like me who never heard much Yardbirds growing up (I'm 34) seek the stuff out, then that's a positive thing. I think it's funny, even if the guitarist botched up the lick, when I heard that fuzz, and that style, I knew it was probably Jeff Beck.