Layout of Boss Hm-2

Started by LiquidSteel, March 21, 2005, 05:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LiquidSteel

Hi all

Are there any Boss hm-2 layouts in the net, i can't find one. Can somebody help ??

:shock:

school

well, i cant help you, but as a previous owner, i can tell you that if you want a really metal tone, i mean a really heavy tone, dont go to that pedal, it doesnt come close to the hype.

LiquidSteel

Ok i trust you, what can you recommend to me ??

squidsquad

If you wanna e-me...I think I have the schem.  But I wanna warn ya:
I've played for 45 years...and that was probobly the worst pedal I ever bought.  I could NEVER make it sound decent for anything.

SeanCostello

I don't know if it is the WORST pedal out there. It may not be the best choice for modern metal styles - but Godflesh used it to pretty heavy effect. Slint used it on "Spiderland" as well, to pretty stunning effect. It is good for playing dissonant intervals without excessive intermodulation distortion.

Sean Costello

LiquidSteel

good ... can you give me a name of a good heavy pedal ???

Khas Evets

I hate it too. One thing I did to make it less bad was to bypass the inline diodes. They were a big reason I hated the feel of the pedal.

j0shua

BSIAB ( Brown sound in a box i) is really cool distortion/Overdrive

You can try The RiCky Heavy Metal Pedal ( www.Fatboyefects.com )

also you can click on my WWW Icon down and check for many distortion effects :)

cheers .........

BTW HM is a mess to build ....

school

no no no, for great metal tone, build any of the obsidian pedals.  layouts available at analogue alchemy.

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: Khas EvetsI hate it too. One thing I did to make it less bad was to bypass the inline diodes. They were a big reason I hated the feel of the pedal.

Hey! :D I did the same thing on mine (including bypassing one of the two 10K series resistors) and thought it really helped a bunch too.

The other thing you can do is to remove the tone control section and use a more conventional tone stack arrangement. The tone controls are what I dislike most about this pedal. Useless for me.

It's a one trick pony and it does that trick very well. Unfortunatly it's not a trick that works for what I listen to and like. With the right filtering afterwards it can be very useful for a background fill in a thundering wall of sound style wash.

In fact, if you want to hear it REALLY shine.... patch a Hammond B3 through it and play some 5th chords! :shock: 8) I’m gonna be a blue collar man.......
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

cd

Keep in mind what was considered "heavy metal" when the pedal was released (1983) so you won't be disappointed later.  If you weren't born back then, count yourself lucky and buy a Metal Zone :) :)

Peter Snowberg

Oh yes.... classic metal.... :P
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Khas Evets

Good idea, Peter. The tone stack is my second most hated aspect of the HM-2.

LiquidSteel

fine ... you all hate the hm-2 ...

but what ist a good heavy metal pedal, important to that is, that a shematic and a layout exists

i´ve buil a lot of effects, I think 7 differen kinds of distortion and overdirve pedals, I've also buil the HMP, but i want a really heavy sound

LiquidSteel

how about the metal zone ... good heavy sound ??
is there anywhere a layout

cd

The HM-2's idea of "heavy metal" is Quiet Riot, Dokken, Dio, Iron Maiden, early Ozzy.  If that's YOUR idea of heavy, you'll like it.  If not, forget about it.

Use the schematic links above for more info on the MT-2.  May want to think twice about building one, they're cheap enough to buy that you'll probably spend more $ on parts and debugging time.

school

bud, just build an obsidian.  homewrecker.com has great sound clips, and analogue alchemy has the layouts.  that is  the most versitile DIY metal pedal i've seen.