Marshall "SUPA FUZZ" Build report.....

Started by MartyMart, March 23, 2005, 08:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

Just tried this circuit from "Fuzz Central" - which looks a little like a "Tone Bender" ie: 3 trannie arrangement.
http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com/schematics.html
I kept to the schem, other than a 0.1uf output cap and it's sounding quite
decent !!  :D
Q1 - AC128 hfe 62
Q2 - AC128 hfe 76
Q3 - OC71  hfe 183 !!

I tried a combo with Q3 hfe at 141 and it seemed a bit "tame" this setup
gets very "splatty" on lower "fuzz" settings( nice effect)  but nice and "full/warm" on higher settings.
A good one to add to the "Fuzz" collection !!
If anyone could tell me how to get a bit more "level" from it, I'd appreciate that, as I only have a 50k vol pot ?

Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

petemoore

I never tried a huge input cap like that on a TB.
 Yupp, resistor between Vpot and ground will raise output, and the min vol setting...in leu of a larger pot.
 Also raising the 470ohm resistor value.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

...ALot Like a TB
 The 10k from Base to Gnd., 1rst transistor is a 100k on the Tonebender, increasing resistance there...less shunting of signal to ground and ... input impedance rises ... and ... you know what happens next or try it...!
 I sometimes bring a wire out from one end of [ITC woud be] the 100k...no insulation, then, when I want 10k there, it's as easy as wrapping the wire across the other end of the 100k.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

bwanasonic

Been listening to a lot of 1972 era prog, and that type of fuzz features prominently (Steve Howe among others). I haven't tried building one (get a similar sound running a RangemasterĂ¢,,¢ into a Ge Fuzz Face) , but you might try using a booster *downstream* to boost the output.

Kerry M

squidsquad

An ROG Fetzer would be easy to add to the end & boost it a lot...and you can adjust the bass content w/it's cap as stated on the page:
http://www.runoffgroove.com/fetzervalve.html

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
  Hi Marty......yep just a Tonebender with a couple of different values.....both made by Solasound.  Try putting some 100K trimpots in there instead of the 10k's so you can dial-in the values for a TB or Supa.
The Supa tends to sound better then the TB for high volume playing [less "mush"...]
Brian.

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
      Hi Marty......any new news on the Supa????    Have you tried to A / B it with a MK II??
Brian.