real or scam?

Started by nero1985, March 22, 2005, 05:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nero1985

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38075&item=7309645028&rd=1

is it just a volume pot? or u think it has a circuit?, for the price and the looks its in pplastic box. mmmmmmmm

NaBo

looks like a pot to me... no batteries.

oh, and i love this part: *This device is Patent Pending

:roll:

ESPguitar

It's an extremly-high-quality-circuit-pot :wink:

:lol:

Torchy

It isnt one of these is it ?
Could be a type "B" in a plastic box ...

vanhansen

No, it's real.  I laughed when I saw it.  I ended up building one with a 100K Analog pot and 2 jacks in a little plastic enclosure, all bought at Radio Shack, under $10.  Real simple.  The layout is on my site if you want to see it.  It's in the DIY Effects and Mods section.

I don't see how that type of thing can be patented.  It's nothing new.
Erik

O

It's just a 100K Audio pot wired like so...

Torchy

Ah ... didnt read it properly, I thought it was amp -> spkr  :oops:

object88

Quote from: vanhansenI don't see how that type of thing can be patented.  It's nothing new.

You'd be surprised at some of the crap that the US patent office lets through these days, just from he software industry.  They're massively overloaded.

Hal

should be $1.50 in parts...

They're not charging _that_ much for it...

vanhansen

Quote from: Halshould be $1.50 in parts...

They're not charging _that_ much for it...

The guy on eBay is charging $19.99.  I think the total for the parts that I got from Radio Shack was somewhere between $6 - $8.  I can't remember because I bought some clips too and a breadboard jumper kit.
Erik

Peter Snowberg

QuoteYes you CAN still use your effects loop for other devices while using the Volume Box, just be sure to place the Volume Box last in the loop and everything will work just fine!
You could also just ajdust the master volume if your amp has one, or the level of something that's always on in your effects chain.

For somebody who doesn't build equipment, that doesn't seem like a bad deal. The only thing I don't care for is the plastic box, but this is a line level signal and not a guitar level one so it should be fine.

Here's a list of costs from RadioShack. I will say I really dislike the jacks they offer.

1/4" mono phone jack $2.99 for 2
100K pot $2.89
knob $0.65
Box $2.29
Wire...
solder...

Total = $8.82+ for parts

Cost of time to build = ???

If you don't build things it looks fine to me. :D
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Paul Marossy

Anyone know if this thing will work with a Fender Hot Rod DeVille?

O

Quote from: Paul MarossyAnyone know if this thing will work with a Fender Hot Rod DeVille?

I built a box for mine and it works good...

Paul Marossy

Cool. I assume I should use a 1/2 watt pot, correct?

O

Quote from: Paul MarossyCool. I assume I should use a 1/2 watt pot, correct?

I just used a normal pot (as the one used on most pedals). I don't think there is any hardcore voltage going through the effects loop, so a normal pot is ok to use.

Here is the site where I found the volume box.
http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/newland/2081/id3.htm

william

I did the same thing so I could plug some preamps into the effect return of my amp.  I found the triaxis and pod xt sound better if their own volume pots are cranked, and then I attenuate the volume using a box with a 1meg pot in it.  The pot gets loud too quickly, but for now, its fine.  Does the job, and I had the parts laying around.

Hal

here's my part list:

Jacks $.08 each (thanks, rhinson)
Pot $.50 from futurlec
knob $.35 futurlec
box $1.00 from any surplus place
wire - free, from a monitor

I would say its still not a bad deal, but PLEASE don't quote radio shack prices, it just encourages people to shop there :-D.  Save your cash/support a store that I care about lol.

vanhansen

Quote from: Paul MarossyAnyone know if this thing will work with a Fender Hot Rod DeVille?

Yes, no problem.  If your master volume is like other Fender amps, zero is dead quiet and 1-2 is still too loud (my Marshall is like this).  This box can solve that without replacing the stock volume pot.  Turn the amp up to what you want and then use this volume control to keep it down some.
Erik

vanhansen

Quote from: Peter SnowbergYou could also just ajdust the master volume if your amp has one, or the level of something that's always on in your effects chain.

This is true too, but since I don't use anything in my effects loop, this is perfect.

Quote from: Peter SnowbergI will say I really dislike the jacks they offer.

Yeah, they're not the best, I agree there.  But, for a quick snap together, the parts were there and I didn't have any jacks left.  Gotta get me an order in to Smallbear soon.
Erik

Paul Marossy

Oh yeah! Now I remember that tidbit from the Fender Discussion Page. I saw that a few years ago. Gee, this ebay guy claims to have a patent pending, huh? Well, I guess if Edison could steal other people's ideas and patent them, then so can this guy on ebay!