What's a good quad opamp for an OD-1?

Started by TheBigMan, March 22, 2005, 07:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfly

dang it, RG !!!!  :D

im absolutely not trying to "change your mind"...youve spent lots of time establishing and learning what works for you...and i'd be a fool to try and say that youre wrong about it.

what i am trying to do, is not "close" peoples minds to other options....heck, i LOVE PCB's...i prefer to use them whenever possible...and theyre not horribly tough to make, once youre used to the process and have the proper tools...but they are tougher to prepare than vero, IMO....

anyway, i guess the point i'm attempting (not so eloquently, evidently) to make is that people need to find what works best for them....not based on heresay or reading opinions...just by trying things....and if they dont know the options, or are "guided" away from the options, then it really does "no one" a service.

many people that come here to the forum, at least from what i can tell, dont really have the desire to become EE's...they just want to try building a pedal and see if they like it. with a couple "successful builds" under their belt, they may want to learn more about the physics side of things. its like the old Radio Shack kits...they were purposefully easy to build, and didnt deal in too much "technical jargon", because Radio Shack knew that forcing everyone to recite Ohm's Law would scare any people off. The result ...lots of people went on to become EE's and learn tons, which they may not have, were the kits too technical.

in the end, i guess the only thing that can truly be stated is "the way that works is the right way."  :D

RG...thank you for (what i consider to be) a GREAT discussion....i love ya, and am certainly in your debt for all the knowledge that youve unknowingly given me...you too Mark....and Aron...and Peter...and Jack...and ........

R.G.

No problems, mate.

Hey, I found a new technology for you while I was looking at vero board availability. It's a strip of copper 0.080" wide and 14" long, punched with holes every 0.100" inches. It makes perfboard into vero board, but you get to put the trace only where you want to, not live with 100% coverage of horizontal (or vertical) runs.

I think it's an intermediate step between stripboard and simpler PCBs.
a) get perfboard.
b) lay out components with a drawing program to get the lengths of strips required
c) put components on perf, soldering strip in as you go.

It will do more compact than vero, less compact than PCB, no etching, no trace cutting.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Dragonfly

Quote from: R.G.No problems, mate.

Hey, I found a new technology for you while I was looking at vero board availability. It's a strip of copper 0.080" wide and 14" long, punched with holes every 0.100" inches. It makes perfboard into vero board, but you get to put the trace only where you want to, not live with 100% coverage of horizontal (or vertical) runs.

I think it's an intermediate step between stripboard and simpler PCBs.
a) get perfboard.
b) lay out components with a drawing program to get the lengths of strips required
c) put components on perf, soldering strip in as you go.

It will do more compact than vero, less compact than PCB, no etching, no trace cutting.

wow...that'd be worth looking at, if nothing else as a "curiosity"  :) probably take some getting used to though....and probably be more of a pain than either vero OR a PCB, but id definitely be interested in checking it out....where might i find such a beast ?

thanks,
 andy